The Underground Collaborative is a not-for-profit that exists to provide employment to educate and empower women and young people experiencing or at-risk of homelessness. Our vision is to break the cycle of homelessness through employment at our hospitality social enterprise Ground+Co cafe.
We are in an exciting period of growth and are recruiting for a management position at our flagship café site in the State Library of WA. Our staff are fun and passionate about coffee, customer service, social justice, working with local suppliers, quality and the planet.
Who are you?
You are an experienced café manager who is values-based and can help take the lead at our centrally located site, while making a difference to the lives of our Team Members.
We're looking for someone with the perfect mix of management experience and specialty coffee skills with ambitions for social justice to match. This is a chance to continue your passion for coffee, food and hospitality whilst realising true purpose in what you do.
If the following statements ring true for you then please apply as we’d love to learn more about you:
- Warm, friendly and professional
- A focus on providing an exceptional and memorable customer experiences
- Demonstrate superstar coffee skills and showcase your industry skills in a dine-in café environment
- The desire to work collaboratively, cultivating a strong team culture within a growing social enterprise
- Love what you do, and enjoy keeping a pulse in the hospitality scene
- An interest and ability in imparting your hospitality knowledge onto our team in a supportive environment
What’s the role look like?
- You’ll work with TUC’s CEO and Engagement & Training Officer to support, recognise and develop areas for growth or improvement, and execute strategies to drive impact and performance
- Availability to work Monday-Friday (with flexibility to work weekend days if required)
- Provide a supportive environment which is focussed on building capacity for our trainee employees who may have a number of complex needs
- Leading by example, you’ll manage a consistent, efficient, and customer focused venue
- You’ll bring new ideas to diversify and grow the Ground+Co movement
- You’ll identify your team’s strengths and encourage them to shine
- Respectful of diversity with an inclusive attitude, in-line with The Underground Collaborative’s values
- Embrace the opportunity to proudly represent the best of yourself and our brand
- You’ll be a champion of hospitality and act as a constant role model for the Team Members in our training program.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of a dine-in café venue, including regular catering requests within the Library
- Ownership over the delivery of your team’s exceptional and engaging customer service
- Lead and inclusively manage a team of staff and continue to build on positive team culture as the wider organisation expands
- Look for new opportunities and lead commercial growth
- Work collaboratively with other TUC positions and head office
- Minimum of 2 years of hospitality management and have led a team of at least 5 staff
- Strong barista skills with solid knowledge and appreciation of specialty coffee
- Experience with food (preparation) catering and events
- Knowledge and/or experience and understanding of the community service sector is highly desirable
- A bit tech savvy, particularly experience with Square Point of Sale and Apple products
- Working knowledge of food safety standards – Food Safety Supervisor Certificate (this training can be arranged for the right candidate
The successful candidate will also have a valid Working With Children Check, Drivers Licence and ability to obtain National Police Check
- 12-month fixed term (with potential for extension)
To be considered for and appointed to a position at Ground+Co, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or hold a valid medical exemption certificate.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program
- Specialty coffee training
- Learning and development opportunities
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Program Cafe Manager enquiry via EthicalJobs or head to our websites:
We will be commencing shortlisting for this role immediately. Applications will be closed once a suitable applicant has been identified so don't delay!