Personal information includes information or an opinion about an individual that is reasonably identifiable. For example, this may include your name, age, and contact details.
1. What personal information do we collect?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- phone number and other contact details;
- age or date of birth;
- answers to job application questions that may contain personal information;
- documents you provide in support of your job application, for example, your resume;
- employment preferences;
- your geo-location information, statistics on webpage views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- details of enquiries relating to employment advertisements, including any additional information provided in response to advertiser enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or indirectly through your use of our website from which you permit us to collect information;
- information you provide to us through job seeker and employer surveys;
- when applying for a job with Ethicaljobs, resumes, previous employer checks and working history; or
- any other personal information that may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.
2. How do we collect personal information?
We may collect these types of personal information either directly from you, or from third parties (such as employers and recruiters). We may collect this information when you:
- register with EthicalJobs.com.au as an advertiser, job candidate or job seeker;
- publish an advertisement on our website;
- apply for a job advertised on our website;
- subscribe to our emails on our website;
- communicate with us through correspondence, chats, email, or when you share information with us from other social applications, services or websites;
- visit our website, for example, through cookies; or
- any other interaction with our sites, services, content, and advertising.
3. Why do we collect, use, and disclose personal information?
We may collect, hold, use, and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use our website and services;
- to allow advertisers to assess job applications and contact candidates;
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise our website and services, business and our users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research and for advertising and marketing;
- to send you services, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
- to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you;
- to administer rewards, surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our business partners;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties; and
- to consider your employment application to EthicalJobs.com.au.
We may also disclose your personal information to trusted third parties who also hold other information about you. These third parties may combine that information to develop anonymised consumer insights so that we can better understand your preferences and interests, personalise your experience and enhance the products and services that you receive.
4. To whom do we disclose your personal information to?
- our employees and related bodies corporate;
- our advertisers;
- third party suppliers and service providers (including providers for the purpose of operating our website, performing data analytics, and in connection with providing our products and services to you);
- payment systems operators (eg merchants receiving card payments);
- agents, advisers, or business partners;
- our sponsors or promoters of any competition that we conduct via our services;
- anyone to whom our assets or businesses (or any part of them) are transferred;
- specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us; and/or
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies, and law enforcement agencies, as required by law.
5. Do we use your personal information for marketing?
You may opt-out of receiving marketing materials from us at any time by using the unsubscribe features by clicking ‘My Preferences’ in any email alert we send you or by contacting us at [email protected].
6. Advertisers and your application
We require Advertisers to comply with applicable laws including the Privacy Act.
We are not responsible for how advertisers handle your personal information. You have the right as a candidate to directly contact advertisers to request access to any personal information of yours sent to them as part of an application or that has been provided to them by us.
7. Disclosure of personal information outside Australia
We may disclose personal information outside of Australia to service providers for our information systems and cloud providers located in the United States of America.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the Australian privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
8. Using our website and cookies
We may collect personal information about you when you use and access our website. While we do not use your browsing information to identify you personally, we may record certain information about your use of our website, such as which pages you visit, how long you are on a page, the time and date of your visit and the internet protocol (IP) address assigned to your computer.
We also use 'cookies' and applets which are tracking technologies on our website that help us track your website usage and remember your preferences. Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognise you across different websites, services, devices and/or browsing sessions. You can disable cookies through your internet browser but our websites may not work as intended for you if you do so.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and we use a number of physical, administrative, personnel and technical measures to protect your personal information. We are unable to guarantee that your personal information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our technical, physical, or administrative safeguards.
10. Data Retention
We retain information you provide to us and which we collect about you as required to provide our services. This can include personal information and information generated or inferred from your use of our services.
We retain this personal information as long as we provide you services and specifically until you send us a request to delete your Personal Information.
When you have applied for a job and provided personal information, you will need to contact Advertisers directly in relation to the personal information they hold to request access or correction to your personal information.
12. Accessing or correcting your personal information
You can access the personal information we hold about you by contacting us by getting in touch at [email protected]. Sometimes, we may not be able to provide you with access to all of your personal information and, where this is the case, we will tell you why. We may also need to verify your identity when you request your personal information.
If you think that any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
13. Making a complaint
If you wish to make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information, you can contact our team at [email protected]. Please include your name, email address and/or phone number and clearly describe your complaint. We will acknowledge your complaint and respond to you regarding your complaint within a reasonable period of time. If you think that we have failed to resolve the complaint satisfactorily, we will provide you with information about the further steps you can take.
If we are unable to resolve your concerns, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) via their website: https://www.oaic.gov.au.
14. Contact us
Title: Customer Service Team
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 03 9419 5979
Post: User Help Desk, PO Box 2618, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia
Effective: May 2023