Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
- The First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria (the Assembly) is the voice of Aboriginal people in Victoria in the next stage of the Treaty process. It is made up of Victorian Traditional Owners, elected by Aboriginal Communities, for Aboriginal Communities, to advance their rights, interests and benefits.
- The Assembly works with the State to establish Treaty processes that recognise the sovereignty of the First Peoples of Victoria, support self-determination, and realise human rights, to make Victoria stronger for everyone.
- This role will play a key role in the implementation of key projects across the Assembly. The Executive Projects and Policy Officer will be responsible for managing projects, developing project scopes, designing, and implementing projects. This role will also be responsible for the development of high-quality strategic advice for the Chief Executive Officer and the Assembly Leadership team.
- In conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer and Assembly Leadership Team, develop and manage a project scope and implementation plan for each project. This will also include an internal communication plan for these key projects.
- With the Chief Executive Officer, assist in ensuring the external activities alignment with Assembly strategy and values.
- Act as the liaison contact between the Office of the CEO and other teams within the Assembly, in particular, point of contact for Governance, Executive and Legal Team ensuring effective communication flow is maintained with all sections of the Assembly.
- Undertake research and analytical work on various operational issues and prepare, review and present high-quality documentation including reports, briefing materials and presentations which provide options and recommendations.
Skills and experience required
- Comprehensive knowledge of Victorian Aboriginal Communities
- Respectful and collegiate approach to work, and to community members
- Demonstrated experience in producing detailed project plans
- Demonstrated experience in providing high level strategic support to the Executive or Leadership Team
- Excellent judgement and decision-making skills
- Highly organised and able to prioritise tasks
- Able to meet tight deadlines and comfortable working in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment
- A proactive approach to problem-solving
- Develop and maintain overall project plan and calendar
- High level verbal and written communications skills
Key Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively and with integrity in the context of a Victorian Traditional Owner representative body
Willing and able to support the leadership of an organisation that is Aboriginal controlled and representative of Aboriginal communities in Victoria. Demonstrated understanding of the Aboriginal community in Victoria. Able to navigate complex relationships and act in accordance with the Assembly values.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and policy analysis
Experience in producing detailed project plans where objectives are clearly defined, action steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Able to develop and manage a project scope and implementation plan for each project, with excellent communication to the Chief Executive Officer and Leadership Team. Ability to develop innovative and effective solutions to policy problems wherever possible.
- Demonstrated capacity for achieving results with others
Willing and able to share ideas and information, collaborate with others within the Assembly including the board, members, staff and other leaders in Victoria who play a critical role in achieving Treaties. Able to approach differences in opinion positively and seeks solutions with mutual benefit.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to adapt writing styles to a range of audiences. Understands and meets the needs of the target audience and listens to audience feedback.
Technical Skills: MS Office proficiency
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Salary & Term
- Ongoing, subject to continued funding
- Salary of $98,000 - $120,000 per annum (full-time equivalent) plus superannuation, based on experience and expertise of the occupant.