- Crisis Intervention Team Members - multiple positions (possibility of part-time and casual)
CRISIS INTERVENTION TEAM
DVCS is a non-government, not-for-profit specialist domestic and family violence service that seeks to reduce violence and abuse in relationships. We provide crisis and long-term support services to help break the domestic and family violence cycle. We are here to support people, both during and after crisis situations as well as support programs for those who use violence, with the aim of bringing about change.
DVCS has been providing services to the Canberra community since 1988, with the initial focus primarily being on crisis intervention. We have grown and evolved over 30 years into a holistic provider of domestic and family violence support services. Our services include a 24/7 telephone crisis counselling service, access to emergency accommodation, help with legal and court matters, support programs and training and education.
Our vision is a world free from violence and abuse.
- Attend crisis visits in accordance with DVCS Policy Guidelines and provide crisis intervention services as required, which may include:
- Assessment of risk and safety issues
- Personal and immediate practical support, referral and advocacy
- Information such as legal options, accommodation, income support, counselling services, health services and children's safety
- Respond to crisis telephone calls to provide crisis counselling, personal support, information and referral on matters related to domestic and family violence including legal, accommodation, income support, counselling services, health services and children's issues
- Provide follow-up and advocacy services to people affected by domestic and family violence
- Provide individual support and information to clients through legal processes including providing advice and advocacy during Family Violence Order processes; liaising and advocating within the criminal justice system; and providing referrals for family law and other legal supports
- Liaise and network with relevant government and community agencies as required including Police, Legal Aid, Courts and refuges
- Record relevant data during each shift
- Maintain accurate client records and prepare reports as required
The Crisis Intervention team member (shift) will require the following skills, experience and capabilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to liaise with a wide variety of people
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and use initiative
- Able to prioritise competing tasks and ensure deadlines are met and expectations managed when issues arise
- Strong knowledge of domestic and family violence and its impacts across the community
- Knowledge and understanding of domestic and family violence and the issues that face people who are affected including people with complex needs who require a range of system responses
- Well-developed client centred responses for people who are experiencing or have experienced trauma
- Demonstrated experience in crisis and referral work including telephone crisis work and the ability to make sound judgements and appropriate referrals in crisis situations
- The ability to work in a diverse team of people across a range of programs with a focus on developing and maintaining a growth mindset regarding personal development and service provision
- Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs of the business
- A demonstrated commitment to the values of equity, inclusion and diversity
- Current Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) Card
- Current driver’s licence
Salary and conditions of employment will be in accordance with the SCHCADS Award levels 5.1 to 6.3. Salary commensurate with qualifications, demonstrated skills and experience.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. Men are also encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions or queries about this position please contact Louise Cutting on 02 6280 6999 or via email at [email protected] using the subject line: Crisis Intervention Team Members - enquiry via EthicalJobs for a confidential discussion.
A position description is attached.