ABOUT CANTEEN & YOUTH CARE SERVICES (YCS)
Just when life should be full of possibilities, cancer can crash into a young person’s world and shatter everything. Canteen provides young people impacted by cancer, and their parents, with access to a team of Allied Health Professionals who deliver programs, counselling and a range of other group and individual support activities.
The Youth Cancer Services (YCS) are specialised treatment and support services for young people with cancer, based in major hospitals throughout Australia. YCS provide medical, nursing and allied health professional services around Australia with a shared focus on improving outcomes for young people diagnosed with cancer.
As the Head of Patient Programs, you will have strategic oversight of the implementation of the Australian Youth Cancer Service (YCS) and responsibility for the Canteen’s Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) funded clinical trials initiative for adolescents and young adults with cancer.
You will oversee and influence project partners to successfully complete project outcomes as well as managing the financial performance of YCS program and Clinical Trials.
The Head of Patient Programs will be responsible for:
- Strategic oversight of YCSs across Australia, YCS advisory groups, Clinical Trials advisory group, national projects, external stakeholders
- Implementation of the Youth Cancer Service program and Clinical Trials initiative
- Responsibility for the Clinical Trials initiative
- Finance and risk oversight of the YCS program and Clinical Trials initiative, including financial performance and budget reporting, legal, risk, communications and compliance frameworks.
- Ensure effective operations and cost-effective use of organisation’s resources
- Preparation of reports for Canteen Board, federal Department of Health, and YCSs’ advisory groups
- Assist the General Manager Research & Youth Cancer Services, CEO and Finance Manager in the development and negotiation of funding agreements.
- Provide proactive and evidence-based expert advice and reports to the GM Research & Youth Cancer Services to ensure full consideration of YCS and Clinical Trials issues when making decisions/ having discussions with government and hospital senior management
- Positive promotion of Canteen and YCS via engagement with relevant key sectoral networks and committees
- A tertiary qualification in health, business or other relevant field. Post-graduate qualification desirable
- At least 5 years’ experience gained within Health (Government or Commercial) ideally with a particular focus on supporting and monitoring major programs, services or projects essential
- Experience in working with/reporting to a Board and/or working at senior levels in an organisation
- Leadership and team management skills and experience essential
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Australian political system, Australian health and social policy, and factors influencing policy direction and reform
- Sound financial and contract management experience
- Strong communication, interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality and persuasive written material such as briefing documents in a format to suit a wide variety of stakeholders and audiences
- Interacts confidently and employs astute perception with strong listening and questioning skills
- Develops and maintains strong professional boundaries
- Sound problem solving skills and demonstrates initiative
- High level of self-motivation and ability to think out of the square
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities in a dynamic workplace
- Location: Sydney, NSW
- Job type: Permanent, full-time
- Hours of work: 37.50 hours per week
A position description is attached.