About the Institute
In 2000, over one million hectares of the Greater Blue Mountains was declared a World Heritage Area in recognition of its outstanding natural values. In 2004 the Blue Mountains World Heritage Institute was established to meet the need for an independent centre dedicated to the protection of this area through research, education, innovation and advocacy.
Today, the Institute leads change and catalyses action at the forefront of environmental conservation and protected area management.
We are an established social, environmental and scientific enterprise built upon a strong foundation of research, education and community engagement, with a successful history of delivering a wide range of projects and events.
About the Position
We are seeking an entrepreneurial and innovative Executive Director to lead the organisation at a time when vast biodiverse landscapes such as the Blue Mountains are facing unprecedented pressure from climate change and other impacts.
Your initial focus will be to build a thriving and self-sustaining organisation that remains relevant to local and global environmental issues, and makes effective use of new business models and partnerships.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone interested in working with a diverse knowledge network that takes an action-oriented approach to environmental issues and that addresses ecological, socio-cultural and economic dimensions.
YOUr support network includes:
- A well-connected, skills-based Board of Directors
- The Blue Mountains City Council and the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
- A Programs Advisory Committee and a Finance and Governance Committee
- A large network of scientists and conservation professionals
- Expert Program Leaders in Research, Education, The Arts and Engagement
- An ecological projects and volunteers manager
- A growing community of interns, citizen scientists and volunteers
- Budget for financial and operational assistance
You will be responsible for:
- Developing new revenue streams and business models in consultation with the Finance, Revenue and Governance Committee.
- Managing and growing the finances of the Institute.
- Managing and growing operational and program teams to achieve strategic and program objectives.
- Managing existing partnerships and developing new strategic relationships that align with the Institute’s purpose, values and objectives.
- Managing the key governance tasks of the Institute including board meetings, finance and program committee and advisory group meetings.
This position reports to and works closely with the Board and Chair.
We are looking for someone with the following strengths:
- A successful track record of:
- organisational leadership with senior team management experience.
- securing funding and developing revenue streams.
- creating and managing partnerships.
- A broad understanding of environmental issues and a commitment to addressing them.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with emerging economies relating to nature and social enterprises.
- A substantial network of contacts and the capacity to engage across society and organisations at local, national and international levels.
- A Masters degree or equivalent experience, with a background in either business, environmental research, conservation, or natural resource management.
- Demonstrated skills in public advocacy.
- Successful track record of organisational transformation including new business model development.
- Successful track record of managing multiple stakeholder projects.
Please visit www.bmwhi.org to learn more about our organisation.
Enquiries are also welcome at this email address: email@example.com using the subject line: Executive Director - Blue Mountains enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.