Are you passionate about women’s rights and keen to show solidarity with women experiencing poverty and injustice around the world? Do you want to learn how to influence government and corporate policy and practice? Are you an emerging Community Organiser or want to skill up and learn how to meaningfully engage with your local community? Then apply to join ActionAid Australia’s National Leadership Team as a State Coordinator.
PURPOSE OF VOLUNTEER ROLE
The State Coordinator works closely with the ActionAid Campaigns Team and the broader activist network. State Coordinators support 1-2 ActionAid local groups and their respective volunteers to organise and campaign to achieve impact in their communities.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with ActionAid staff to manage 1-2 local ActionAid volunteer groups within your respective state.
- Liaising between staff and groups through regular check-ins (at least twice a month).
- Supporting local groups to set objectives, create plans and organise actions within a limited budget that are strategic and contribute to campaigns.
- Holding local groups accountable to their set objectives, plans, and actions.
- Reporting back quarterly on how groups are tracking.
- Participating in monthly National Leadership Team meetings (held online).
- Supporting the development of leaders in communities.
- Recruiting new leaders to the network.
- Facilitating trainings with local groups.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A time commitment of at least six months or ideally a year, up to four hours a week including online monthly National Leadership Team meetings.
- A passion for community organising and building people power in communities across Australia.
- A demonstrated commitment and passion for women’s rights; and adherence to the principles of feminist leadership.
- Some experience in people management.
- Computer literacy and ability to use phone and email systems.
- Respect for ActionAid’s independence and an ability to work within this ethos.
- Passion for social justice and the role that everyday people can play to achieve a fairer and more equitable world.
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE
- Ongoing training and skill up opportunities to grow your organising skills including feminist leadership.
- The chance to connect with ActionAid supporters and staff in Australia.
- Connection with an international movement of supporters who believe in women’s rights and social justice.
- The chance to contribute to the development of the grassroots strategy for ActionAid Australia.
- The chance to contribute to impactful campaigns through supporting our activist network.