- Five days per week (1.0 FTE)
- Contract to June 2021
Youth Focus is a for-purpose organisation that aims to prevent youth suicide and depression. Each year, Youth Focus supports more than 3,500 young Western Australians through its no-cost professional and therapeutic counselling services.
Youth Focus champions a person-centred approach to counselling which incorporates education, support and evidence-based clinical interventions aimed at strengthening resiliency and coping resources.
Youth Focus are currently seeking an experienced full-time Youth Counsellor to provide a mix of office and school based prevention and early-intervention services in the Geraldton area. This is an autonomous role with support from the Perth team.
This role will be responsible for providing support to young people aged 12 to 25 with early signs of depression, anxiety, self-harm and suicidal ideation.
To be considered for this position, applicants will have:
- Registration/membership with a professional association (e.g. AHPRA, AASW ACA or PACFA) as a psychologist, social worker, occupational therapist, counsellor or mental health nurse.
- Experience in supporting young clients through bio-psycho-social issues in a therapeutic setting, as well as engaging and including families in counselling as appropriate.
- The primary purpose of this position is to provide counselling services to young people in schools (and their families) both face to face and telehealth services.
- Ability to conduct psychosocial assessments to determine client suitability for early intervention services, including risk assessment/management plans and current mental health status.
- Ability to develop case formulations and care plans.
- Familiarity and use of outcome based measures to monitor and inform treatment progress.
- Experience working with young people in the school environment is desirable.
- Local knowledge of the Geraldton region, surrounding areas and local agencies would be highly advantageous.
- Confidence and experience in using systems and technology is highly desirable.
- You will be a team player and have the confidence to communicate effectively with a range of diverse individuals and have a 'can do' attitude and enjoy working to achieve the desired outcomes of the organisation.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to be part of an innovative, diversified and growing organisation.
- Competitive salary with ongoing industry benchmarking and access to salary packaging.
- Well-appointed, youth friendly, office environment.
- Comprehensive training, induction and support within the role as well as ongoing quality supervision and professional development opportunities.
- Above award annual leave, long service leave and superannuation entitlements, which increase in line with tenure.
- Vibrant staff engagement, talent management and recognition program with generous staff prizes.
- Appointment to the role is subject to the successful candidate possessing a valid driver's licence as well as ability to ascertain a National Police Check certificate and Working with Children Check.
- Due to the high volume of applications for this role, only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted. For those that aren’t contacted, we thank you for your application and interest in a role with Youth Focus.
For more information please contact Emma Brown-Davies on 0499 554 331 or 6266 4333.
Youth Focus is an equal opportunity employer.