The Opportunity to lead a team of Changemakers
Reporting to the Head of Program Development, we are seeking a Senior Environmental Safeguarding Advisor & Manager, Environment, Disability & Gender Equality Team to drive environmental safeguarding across World Vision Australia’s international programs and domestic operations, and lead the ‘Environment, Disability and Gender Equality (EDGE)’ team, with accountability for mainstreaming environmental safeguarding, gender equality and disability inclusion across WVA’s field programming portfolio..
This role is also responsible for driving collaboration across key WVA stakeholder groups, including sector specialist teams (economic empowerment, climate action and resilience), grant acquisition, program management, and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Your main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Environmental Safeguarding mainstreaming:
- Strengthen the capacity of, and provide the tools and resources for, WVA Field Impact staff, and where appropriate, National Offices to deliver high quality programming that enhances outcomes for the most vulnerable communities by mainstreaming environmental safeguarding.
- Undertake regular reviews of WVA and partners performance against the WVA Environment and Climate Change policy in accordance with DFAT accreditation requirements.
- Provide targeted technical support to the ANCP portfolio through the field programming cycle to advise on environmental safeguards
- World Vision Environment and Climate Change Policy and Implementation:
- Manage and continue to revise WVA’s policies on Environment and Climate Change and oversee the cross-enterprise Environment and Climate Change Working Group to implement the WV policies and report on progress.
- Build the enabling environment for environmental safeguarding within WVA through capacity building, training, identifying change champions.
- Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) technical expertise:
- Provide DRR and CCA technical support across WVA’s project portfolio, particularly the design and implementation of priority projects.
- Engage with World Vision International on relevant Environmental Safeguarding, DRR and CCA matters
Your skills and experience will include:
- Experience leading a multi-disciplinary team. Strong understanding of gender equality and disability inclusion in the context of international development highly regarded.
- Experience in undertaking environmental safeguard and impact risk assessments and supporting DRR/CCA inclusive designs including DRR/CCA analysis and related DRR/CCA mainstreaming strategies and activities
- Experience in developing data management systems including building in validation and verification systems.
- Experience in policy influence, advocacy or research in related field
- Detailed knowledge of current approaches to environmental safeguard and impact assessments in both complex humanitarian disaster and transformational development environments
- Experience and strong understanding of institutional donors and/or World Vision
- Tertiary qualification in science/related fields preferably including environmental management / environmental science
What you need to know
This role is a permanent position operating in a full-time capacity and will be based in our head office in Burwood East, Melbourne.
For your information, the interviews will start immediately, and the role may be filled before the closing date.
World Vision Australia takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work with the children in our programs. All successful candidates will undergo a criminal record and Working with Children check prior to employment. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
Why World Vision
World Vision is a global community, working together for the one purpose – to bring about positive change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. People are inspired to work for us because they want to contribute to making a difference. We are part of an international team, using our talent, determination and influence to invest in a better tomorrow.
With us, job satisfaction takes on a greater meaning. We have over 50,000 dedicated and passionate staff and volunteers, 10 million committed supporters who are changing lives and 100 million people as a part of World Vision’s supported communities.
When it comes to our people, as an organisation we embrace diversity, employing people from a variety of cultural and religious backgrounds.