The Indigenous Carbon Industry Network seeks an experienced and motivated person with excellent writing skills, active listening abilities, experience with strategic communications planning and social media management targeted for Indigenous audiences as well as a passion for supporting Indigenous cultural economies and experience in cross-cultural knowledge sharing to support and manage communication through the network.
The Indigenous Carbon Industry Network (ICIN) is Australia’s first Indigenous-owned carbon industry network. It includes around 35 members including Indigenous organisations that operate across north Australia to develop and deliver carbon projects, mainly through savanna fire management. Members are united by the vision of ICIN; to promote and facilitate an active, innovative and Indigenous-led carbon industry supporting healthy country and better livelihoods for Indigenous people. The network is supported by a Board of seven Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people that are nominated by member organisations and a 0.8 part-time Coordinator, based in Darwin.
ICIN is currently hosted by Warddeken Land Management Ltd, an Aboriginal-owned charity with a highly supportive working environment. It is currently in the process of transitioning to an independent entity, ICIN Ltd.
About the Role
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Independently and strategically manage ICIN’s communication platforms, including website, monthly newsletter, bulletin, and social media platforms.
- Assist the ICIN Coordinator to implement and evaluate ICIN’s Communication Strategy
- Create, edit, publish, and evaluate a range of communication tools targeted at Indigenous audiences as needed.
- Manage communication plans and budgets in a fast-paced and dynamic working environment.
- Provide communications support to ICIN members.
- Assist with ICIN events as needed, including in remote areas.
- Independently manage a work plan effectively and to schedule.
- Travel interstate or to remote Indigenous communities to attend events and workshops from time to time.
- Coordinate the ICIN Communications working group.
- Oversee the ICIN's Communication Protocol, Policies and Procedures.
- Direct and respond to media enquiries and develop media statements, in consultation with the Coordinator.
- Other duties as directed by the ICIN coordinator from time to time.
It is preferred that the successful applicant works from our office located in Darwin, NT.
Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged.
- You have exceptional communications skills across a broad range of media, including excellent listening, writing and visual interpretation skills.
- You are diligent and hard working.
- You have significant experience (5+ years) in planning, creating, distributing and evaluating communications tools as part of a Communications Strategy.
- You have significant experience in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- You are prepared to travel to remote communities from time to time.
- You enjoy working as part of a small team.
- You are committed to developing Indigenous cultural economies and to cross-cultural knowledge sharing.
- You have excellent attention to detail and a thorough understanding of best-practice communication protocol.
- You are able to multi-task and independently manage a demanding and dynamic work schedule.
- Qualification or equivalent experience in media or communications
- Highly developed communication skills.
- Experience in writing for a variety of media, including websites, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations and social media.
- Experience in managing and implementing a communications strategy.
- Ability to work and deliver results independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic environment.
- Experience in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and in developing communications tools for an Indigenous audience.
- Experience in managing a project to a budget and schedule as part of a team.
- A demonstrated commitment to Indigenous self-determination.
- Understanding of Indigenous land management
- Understanding of the carbon market
- Experience in website content management (particularly Nation Builder)
- Experience in event management
- Experience in photography, as well as creating and editing videos
Enquiries: Anna Boustead 0417 989 577.
A position description is attached.