The Senior Legal Secretary provides high quality secretarial and support services to the legal staff and supervision of the legal secretaries in the provision of criminal, family and civil law assistance of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community in Victoria.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS, DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITY
- Provide supervision, training and support to the secretarial staff
- Manage workload distribution to secretarial staff including when staff are sick or on leave.
- Rostering of reception coverage when required.
- Provide training to solicitors on secretarial processes as part of solicitor induction program.
- Undertake all word processing tasks and associated file management tasks as provided by solicitors in relation to the ongoing file management of clients of the Service in area of Criminal Law.
- Prepare documentation for briefing Counsel or other professionals as directed, including photocopying, collating and arranging delivery.
- Receive phone calls on behalf of individual solicitors and follow up enquiries or record messages for action by solicitor.
- Assist in arranging appointments for clients or making contact with clients directly.
- Undertake filing of reports and other documentation on behalf of clients.
- Update data base and electronic files as required.
- Lodge and maintain Victoria Legal Aid grant applications within the ATLAS system as required.
- Undertake relief work on reception, as rostered and participate in duties associated there.
- Participate in the processing of ingoing and outgoing mail for the organisation..
- Keep up to date with relevant procedures by attending professional education programs and maintain an understanding of issues impacting the justice system and members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community
- As directed, undertake other duties which are incidental and peripheral to the main tasks, provided that such duties are reasonably within the employee’s skills, competence and training
A position description is attached.