About the Organisation
The Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS) was established in 1973 to address the specific medical needs of Victorian Aboriginal communities. The organisation has expanded steadily over past 40 years to provide a comprehensive range of medical, dental and social services for our community.
As well as providing a variety of medical services, VAHS is committed to supporting the well-being of the community through contributions to community events and activities. VAHS is also committed to assisting research into the ongoing needs of the community.
VAHS is a child safe organisation.
About the Opportunity
The Mental Health Clinician’s role is to provide case formulation and consultation and healing responses for referred clients experiencing mental health and/or social and emotional wellbeing difficulties that range from moderate to severe impairment in functioning.
Key Selection Criteria
To be considered for this role you must have the following;
- Demonstrated appreciation, understanding of, and sensitivity to, Aboriginal cultural values and approaches to mental health and Social and Emotional Wellbeing (SEWB)
- Demonstrated experience in working with adults with complex mental health issues and histories of trauma
- Demonstrated familiarity with the Mental Health Act and a commitment to the principles of treatment for people with serious mental illness
- Well-developed skills in the theory and application of a range of counselling and treatment orientations
- Demonstrated understanding of a holistic approach to mental health
- High level of interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to successfully engage with clients, their carers, extended family members, members of the general community and other involved professionals
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- A professional standard of report writing and verbal and written skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure and develop creative and flexible solutions to complex problems
Qualifications, Licenses and Registrations
- Degree or Post Graduate Diploma in Psychology, Social Work or Mental Health Nurse
- Current registration with AHPRA
- Current Victorian driving license
- Current Working With Children check
- Current National Police check