Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
The World Bank Group (WBG) is seeking to recruit an Environmental Analyst, to be stationed in Sydney, Australia to support the growing country environment program.
This position will focus primarily on the fisheries and natural resource management agenda, including ocean fisheries, near shore fisheries, community development, resilient coastal and landscape management, coastal pollution and climate change.
This position is a 4 year term appointment.
The responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to specific operational activities at all stages of the project cycle, including responsibility for costing, financing and disbursements aspects, portfolio and pipeline management activities, etc
- Interacting with and guiding task team members and clients in ensuring compliance of World Bank ENB project objectives and requirements
- Helping to ensure that the World Bank’s responsibilities for administrative, operational and performance reporting and tasks are fulfilled as required by the institution and donors including PROBLUE, PROGREEN and GEF
- Analysing portfolio and pipeline data and drafting regular and ad-hoc reporting internally to management and externally including to donors and other stakeholders, including briefs and presentations
- Carrying out substantive research and analytical tasks including on fisheries, pollution management, tourism, climate change, and forest/land management
- Developing functional expertise in at least one of the technical areas covered by the ENB program, including fisheries, coastal zone management, resilience, tourism, etc. and providing relevant operational support as needed
- Supporting communications and knowledge management activities and assisting with knowledge product development and facilitation, preparing briefing and presentation material on oceans, fisheries, tourism, pollution management, resilient growth, and sustainable landscapes management, and producing knowledge products on thematic areas as requested by TTLs
- Coordinating closely with clients on implementation of ENB-related tasks to facilitate communication, coordination and impact
- Supporting natural resource policy dialog with the government and other stakeholders related to the Bank’s environment or natural resources portfolio, with a strong focus on the management of fisheries, coastal zone management, climate change and pollution management. This includes coordination with other financiers, and review of sector policies, strategies, and legislation
- Participating in preparation and/or implementation support missions in support of ENB activities in the Pacific
The successful candidate is expected to meet the following selection criteria:
Masters degree in environment or natural resource management or economics, environmental science or policy, agriculture, engineering, fisheries or forest management, climate change or equivalent is required.
- At least 2 years of full-time professional experience in the natural resources, environment, fisheries and/or agricultural field. Experience with extension, community engagement, program development, operations and stakeholder engagement in the environment and natural resources field, and/or applied research works are appreciated
- Knowledge of operational processes and procedures; Knowledge of World Bank procedures would be an advantage
- Good analytical and numeracy skills are essential
- Demonstrated inter-personal skills; experience of working effectively in large and multi-disciplinary teams of specialists
- Good communications skills, specifically in writing briefs, reports and preparing power point presentations
- Capacity to work simultaneously on a variety of issues and tasks, independently adjusting to priorities
- Excellent English language skill
- Willingness to travel extensively, primarily in the Pacific, including in rural and remote areas is required
- Proven project management/ operational skills
- Demonstrated experience working on policy or investment initiatives anchored in environment and natural resources-related sectors, including fisheries, forestry, agriculture, water, and other environmental services
- Experience in community development/empowerment working with a wide range of stakeholders, NGOs, international organisations, development partners and/or with the government
The complete Term of Reference can be found on The World Bank Careers website.
Qualified candidates must apply online. Please click apply now which will redirect to our website and type Req8193 into the "Keyword or ReqID" search field.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.