- Reporting to: State Operations Manager – SA & NT
- Reporting to: No direct reports
- Status: Casual (15-30 hrs / fortnight)
The Big Issue Australia is an independent organisation that develops and operates social enterprises and creative, sustainable solutions to homelessness, providing opportunities for homeless and marginalised people to positively change their lives.
We are an agent for social change, using entrepreneurial practices and sound business strategy to promote social inclusion and alleviate poverty in Australia. Our innovative programs and services focus on helping people who are socially disadvantaged and may otherwise slip through the cracks, to build confidence and the capacity to help themselves.
This is achieved by using various mechanisms to connect people with the community, such as the Street Magazine Enterprise, Women's Subscriptions Enterprise, Community Street Soccer Program and The Big Issue Classroom.
The Big Issue Australia is proudly non-judgmental and welcoming to all, treating all people with dignity and respect, and promoting independence and self-reliance.
The purpose of the Vendor Sales and Support Coordinator is to work as part of the SA Vendor Support team (based on North Terrace) providing support to Big Issue Vendors as part of the Street Magazine Enterprise.
Specific tasks/Key Results areas
- Support the vendor community and undertake the day-to-day administration of the operation.
- Vendor sign-up, induction, and training
- Administer the pitch booking system
- Participate in vendor activities including the vendor breakfast each fortnight
- Undertake pitch walks, providing support and encouragement to vendors to assist them to increase their sales through the provision of practical information and advice
- Assist the State Operations Manager in developing and implementing strategies to ensure that the number of vendors and magazine sales continue to grow, including fundraising activities.
- Identify appropriate agencies and organisations with which to engage with to ensure vendor referrals
- Contribute to strategies to increase magazine sales including pitch expansion, involving liaison with local councils
- Contribute to the fundraising and awareness activities for SA to help raise the profile of the magazine in the wider community
- Assist the State Operations Manager in developing and maintaining relationships with community agencies, and other stakeholders to secure additional support for The Big Issue and the vendors.
- Develop relationships with key support agencies for homeless and marginalised people living in SA to ensure efficient referral of Vendors as required
- Attend regular meetings with key community contacts to ensure on-going mutually beneficial relationships
- Ensure effective teamwork, liaising with others to achieve the goals and outcomes of The Big Issue.
- Build relationships with other Big Issue program staff including Community Street Soccer, Women's Subscription Enterprise, and The Big Issue Classroom
- Capacity to contribute to the running of Community Street Soccer, Women's Subscription Enterprise based in Adelaide Office
Key internal relationships
- State Operations Manager – SA & NT
- National Operations Manager
Key skills and knowledge
- Previous experience working with people from marginalised backgrounds
- Understanding of the community sector
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organisational skills
- High attention to detail
- Friendly and flexible attitude, high energy approach to work
- The ability and commitment to provide excellent support
- We treat all people with dignity and respect
- We operate ethically and with integrity
- We think creatively and without limits
- We strive for continuous improvement
- We apply prudent financial and business practices
- We are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible
- We value, encourage, and support our employees
Prior to an offer of employment all applicants must undertake a National Police Check.