The National Council is looking for an experienced communications officer who has relevant tertiary qualifications and a minimum of five years’ experience office. A solid understanding of current social policy issues, the political process and media is essential. The role requires someone who can write for different audiences with minimal supervision. This is a relatively senior role, working to the National Communications Director.
This position is responsible to the National Communications Director or delegate, for the following key accountabilities:
- Support the work of the communications team
- Populate and monitor the National Council’s Twitter account, including sourcing/producing relevant graphics
- Draft and distribute media releases
- Share the responsibility for receiving and directing media inquiries
- Draft and distribute the fortnightly electronic newsletter
- Apply the Style Manual to all work
- Maintain photo library, contact lists and advocacy calendar
- Copywrite for the website and upload policy documents and comms material to the website.
- Assist with monthly meetings of the National Communications Network
The key accountabilities and the associated KPIs cannot be delegated without the authority of the CEO or their delegate. Other duties may be required, as directed, commensurate with skills and abilities.
- Tertiary qualifications and a minimum of five years relevant experience.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of current social policy issues, political process and media relations.
- Demonstrated competence using platforms such as Twitter, Campaign Monitor.
- Demonstrated time management skills, including the ability to prioritise, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, but independently with limited direction.
- Demonstrated empathy for the mission and vision of the St Vincent de Paul Society.
- Understanding of the workings of a federated structure such as that of the St Vincent de Paul Society.
- Understanding of the not-for-profit sector and the role of peak bodies in national politics.