An exciting role within The Big Issue’s long-standing national community street soccer program. This 5 hours/week role will support our weekly 2-hour Ballarat program which runs Tuesday afternoons.
You are an enthusiastic- energised coordinator coach with the skills in delivering a soccer program for homeless, marginalised and disadvantaged people in Ballarat. Some of the players may be experiencing homelessness, mental illness, substance abuse and people who are generally at risk.
This is a role that allows you to use your interpersonal and communication skills to motivate people in difficult circumstances helping them set themselves achievable goals and encouraging them to seek support for the issues that they may be facing.
Reporting to the VIC/TAS Coordinator, you will be responsible for promoting the program to key stakeholders in your local area and coordinating diverse health activities as well as assisting the coach to run weekly Street Soccer training sessions that will incorporate some stretching, simple fitness, skills development and a match.
The most critical aspect of the role is connecting with the participants and providing them with direction and encouragement to develop and grow as individuals in our community.
Demonstrated experience in a sport or community role would be highly regarded, but not essential. We are looking for someone with a maturity in their attitude, confidence and natural communication skills to work easily with our clients, other staff members and volunteers.
KEY RESULTS AREAS
Coordinate two monthly health activities for players, work to achieve KPI outcomes, including building participation numbers and actively promoting the program to key agency connections.
Assist Street Soccer coach in training sessions each week completing components of training as outlined by the National Coach (includes formal introduction, skills session, physical training, game component and summary);
- Coordinate health education activities and guest speakers for the program;
- Complete administrative requirements which includes filling out players code of conducts, attendance records, incident report forms and KPI reports; and
- Promote the program to a range of support services and recruit participants to the program.
- Provide a level of informal mentoring and role modelling to players at training;
- Encourage and facilitate peer support;
- Work collaboratively with other coach and VIC/TAS Coordinator to develop and run events and activities that allow players to demonstrate the skills and attitude they have developed in the program;
- Offer information and refer participants on a range of issues such as housing, drug and alcohol dependency, vocational training and mental illness as required and as will improve their overall health;
- Coordinate a team of volunteers to support training sessions;
KEY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to conduct a basic soccer training session using your personality and creativity to make participants feel relaxed, engaged and welcome;
- Ability to work and motivate people facing difficulties in their lives
- Ability to engage and develop relationships with disadvantaged people;
- Ability to provide informal mentoring and act as a role model to program participants;
- Intermediate Computer Skills. Familiarity with Office suite, Google Docs and Drive an advantage;
- Ability to make sessions fun and challenging for players of all abilities and varied intellectual and physical capabilities;
- Ability to engage and develop relationships with community agencies;
- Knowledge of local services available to disadvantaged people and basic ability to refer players to these organisations;
- Some understanding of factors in health and well-being of homeless people including people with substance abuse issues and mental illness;
- Ability to recruit train and supervise volunteers; and
- Experience in running leisure recreational activities for disadvantaged people would be desirable but not essential.
- We treat all people with dignity and respect
- We operate ethically and with integrity
- We think creatively and without limits
- We strive for continuous improvement
- We apply prudent financial and business practices
- We are economically, environmentally and socially responsible
- We value, encourage and support our employees