Victorian Greens leader Samantha Ratnam MLC is seeking expressions of interest from a motivated and experienced digital campaigns and political communications specialist to join the Victorian Greens parliamentary staff team, in a senior role.
The Director of Digital Campaigns and Communications role is part of the senior leadership team for the Victorian Greens MPs, working across all State MPs offices to provide high-level digital campaign and communications advice, ensuring effective communication of the work of the Victorian Greens MPs.
The Director of Digital Campaigns and Communications will advise the Victorian Greens Party Room on digital campaign and communications strategies, and coordinate the implementations of those strategies across offices.
This will include:
- Advising on and coordinating the implementation of the Greens MPs digital campaign strategy across various digital channels including websites, emails and social media channels, including earned and paid digital media.
- Developing communications plans.
- Coordinating issues-based campaigns plans across staff in four different MPs offices, working with external experts and directly with MPs.
- Producing and reviewing communications content across various platforms, including email blasts, social media, digital ads, websites, printed materials and other channels.
- Provide oversight and coordinate communications staff to implement communications strategies and plans.
The role requires you to maintain strict confidence on all issues associated with your duties and exercise sound judgment.
The role will report to the Chief of Staff and work closely with communications staff in the four MPs offices.
Key selection criteria
We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualifications and/or experience in digital campaigning and political communication, including developing and implementing successful digital campaigns, and utilising communications research.
- Great political nous and judgement. We want someone who is great at translating policy into messages that inspire and motivate people.
- Demonstrated understanding of contemporary communications channels and what it takes to develop high quality and successful email blasts, social media posts, website content, digital ads, leaflets and scripts for materials that engage, influence and inspire the community.
- Experience in issues-based campaigning in a progressive environment and understanding of and experience with different campaigning tools and methods. Experience in graphic design, website development using Drupal and managing email campaigns through programs such as Nation Builder would be an advantage.
- Excellent people skills, experience in managing small teams and the ability to coordinate work across diverse groups of people to achieve outcomes. A large part of this job is making sure staff in different offices understand and implement our campaign plans effectively.
- A strong understanding of the Victorian political context, of effective political and issues-based campaign strategies, and a demonstrated commitment to Greens values. If you’ve worked on campaigns in a political or NGO/issues-based environment, this will be an advantage.
- Proven ability to work independently, efficiently, with flexibility and adaptability while manage competing priorities, and work well under pressure to meet tight and demanding deadlines. Politics is often a fast-moving, high-pressure and uncertain environment and you’d need to thrive in these scenarios.
Terms of appointment
This position is being recruited under the terms and conditions of Parliamentary Advisors. This is a full-time position 1.0 EFT but less than full-time will be considered for the right candidate. Parliamentary Advisors are able to be employed until the 2022 State election.
The role will be located in inner-city Melbourne, and will require you to work at different offices.
Parliamentary Advisors are employees of the Victorian Parliament, and accountable to the Parliamentary Leader of the Victorian Greens. Parliamentary Advisors have a main role in supporting the work of the AGV Party Room, a position which requires a high degree of loyalty, versatility and the ability to maintain confidentiality on behalf of the AGV Members of Parliament.
The salary for Parliamentary Advisors is currently $86, 649, equivalent to an Electorate Office Level 3 position. For administrative reasons Parliamentary Advisors are currently on contract but it is our intention the position would be ongoing until at least the 2022 State election.
A position description is attached.