The Refugee and Immigration Legal Service (RAILS) is a community legal centre that has been providing free legal advice and representation to disadvantaged people since 1980. It is the only community legal centre in Queensland that specialises in refugee and immigration law. RAILS works closely with other community organisations and with government to provide a network of support for the most vulnerable clients.
This is an integral role to our service delivery model. Bringing your legal and coordination skills will be an asset to RAILS.
Provide casework coordination to eligible clients including:
- Coordinating the Admin team, volunteer coordinators, volunteer advisors to ensure the smooth preparation and running of the program on the day/s of the sessions;
- Cross checking conflict checks performed by Admin team and performing any further conflict checks necessary;
- Fostering strong working relationships with volunteer advisors;
- Working in collaboration with volunteer advisors to ensure correct and complete advice is provided to all clients;
- Signing off on all volunteer advisors’ general migration law advice;
- Action any necessary follow up by RAILS staff including completing service records on CLASS database and escalating appropriate issues to the Pro Bono Coordinator and/or Principal Solicitor; and
- Identifying and making appropriate referrals to other organisations
- Authorised to practice as an unrestricted solicitor/migration agent in Queensland or ability to immediately gain registration on this basis.
- In-depth knowledge of general immigration law and practice, including in the refugee and family reunion areas.
- Ability to work within the casework guidelines of RAILS.
- Ability to supervise volunteers.
- Ability to work efficiently and as an effective team member.
- Understanding of issues facing culturally diverse communities and ability to work and communicate effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated commitment to, and understanding of, the principles of social justice and the role of a community legal centre within a social justice framework, including RAILS’ philosophy.
If you have any questions, please email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Evening Advice Coordinator enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.