- Team: Toowoomba Regional Office
- Location: Toowoomba with outreach to Gatton (some travel to Brisbane will be required).
- Level: Level 5 Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award ($84,849 - $88,702 + leave loading and superannuation). Salary sacrificing available.
- Reports to: Regional Team Leader - Toowoomba
- Contract: Full-time, ongoing (pending 6 month probation). Occasional out of hours work will be required.
Healing the past, nurturing the future.
Our vision is for refugee survivors of persecution to live lives liberated from the harms of torture, trauma and human rights injustice. We exist to nurture meaningful futures by assisting refugee survivors to heal, belong and thrive in our community.
In all our work, survivors of torture and trauma come first.
We believe in meaningful futures.
We are committed to healing being a journey of growth across mind, body and spirit.
We don’t give up.
We understand that healing requires time, patience and courage for individuals, families and communities.
We believe that to heal and belong are human rights.
We collaborate to build opportunities so that survivors of torture and trauma can belong and thrive in our community.
The primary purpose of this role is to deliver meaningful trauma recovery outcomes for clients, their families and communities. Our regional team supports individuals, families and communities from refugee background to heal, belong, thrive and restore their sense of justice in our community.
We are looking for a Counsellor Advocate who is passionate about recovery from trauma for people from a refugee background. We value the ability to engage clients in healing across mind, body and spirit. You will be compassionate, patient and courageous in managing a range of vulnerabilities experienced by our clients and their families. We believe in cultural respect. We are looking for a Counsellor Advocate who is comfortable working with clients from many cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Deliver therapeutic counselling (incorporating a range of modalities) that supports individualised healing and recovery.
- Deliver appropriate client related advocacy which supports healing and the opportunity to thrive and belong in the Australian community.
- Provide psychoeducation to enable clients to understand and develop strategies for recovery.
- Ensure assessment and intervention is both trauma informed and culturally sensitive to the needs of survivors of torture and trauma.
- Manage risk with clients with complex and/or crisis presentations.
- Ensure quality service delivery including accountability with service delivery and organisational requirements. This includes the writing of case notes and client related professional reports.
- Deliver group-based therapeutic and psycho-education intervention, and support community events as required.
- Build and foster collaborative partnerships with other agencies including other family members and community leaders.
- Collaborative with peers and Regional team members to deliver meaningful services to clients and refugee community.
- Ability to abide by the vision and values of QPASTT including our Code of Conduct as well as the policies and procedures of the organisation;
- Support research and evaluation initiatives of the organisation.
- Degree level qualifications in Social Work, Psychology, Counselling or Occupational Therapy. Eligibility for membership of the relevant professional body.
- Good conceptualisation and ability to articulate refugee trauma recovery frameworks.
- Practical therapeutic experience preferably in a refugee trauma recovery context.
- Ability to respond to varying need across the lifespan (children, youth, adults, elderly).
- Ability to deliver culturally safe support.
- Ability to identify client-related risks and implement ways to reduce risk.
- Ability to document assessment and intervention as well as write professional reports based on therapeutic intervention.
- Desirable – experience in working with children and young people or whole of families.
Conditions of employment
- Current Positive Notice Blue Card and provision of an annual federal police check.
- Current Queensland C Class driver’s licence.
Should you wish to talk with someone about this position, please contact Ruth Power (Acting Regional Team Leader - Toowoomba) on 0413 033 642 or RuthPower@qpastt.org.au using the subject line: Counsellor Advocate - Toowoomba enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.