The award-winning Moon Rabbit Cafe, known for its social and environmentally sustainable values is seeking a Cafe All-Rounder that can hit the ground running with great barista, food prep and customer service skills.
Within the role is an opportunity to support our student placements in our Tiered Transitional Training program for young people facing barriers to employment or education, adding a community development element to the job that delivers great outcomes.
- REPORTS TO: Moon Rabbit Manager
- HOURS: Part time 32 hours per week
- LOCATION: Preston
- AWARD: Neighbourhood House and Adult Community Education Collective Agreement 2010
- CLASSIFICATION & SALARY: NHACE Agreement 2010 Level 5.1- $29.93 per hour
- INTERNAL LIASON: Chief Executive Officer, Management Team, Marketing & Communications Coordinator, Bridge Darebin Staff, Volunteers, Board of Management, Contractors, Moon Rabbit Staff, TTT Program Students
- EXTERNAL LIASON: Moon Rabbit Customers, Moon Rabbit Suppliers
- SUPERVISORS: Café Assistants, Volunteers and students
ABOUT BRIDGE DAREBIN
Bridge Darebin is a vibrant, not-for-profit community organisation based in the Darebin LGA. Bridge Darebin is a Social enterprise that incorporates a Neighbourhood House, a Learn Local organisation, a Low-waste training café, and Occasional Care Centres. We value community ownership and management and provide our services free from discrimination. We are a registered charity and Public Benevolent Institution.
We are an economically and environmentally sustainable social enterprise NFP that provides social, educational, and support programs to meet community needs. The organisation has five main areas of activity across multiple sites: adult education, children's services, community programs, venue hire, and our socially responsible café, Moon Rabbit.
ABOUT MOON RABBIT CAFE
Moon Rabbit aims to provide an outstanding experience for customers, staff, and volunteers while delivering on its values of sustainability and supporting the local community. Our award-winning café operates on a zero-waste model. We support young neurodiverse people through our Tiered Transitional Training (TTT) Program to develop their technical, life and employability skills in a supportive practical working environment.
CURRENT CAFE OPENING HOURS
Monday - Friday: 8am - 2pm
(shifts vary between 6am - 4pm)
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS ROLE
The Moon Rabbit Café and Catering Supervisors primary role is to ensure the day to day operations and smooth running of the café daily. The Supervisor will lead the café team to maintain a vibrant workplace and lead the way in upholding Moon Rabbit's customer service standards and quality control.
The Café and Catering Supervisor works with the Chef, including preparing Moon Rabbit's menu items to the highest standard during service; the Supervisor will play a key role in training both team members and students in all areas of food drink preparation, customer service and day-to-day operations.
The Café and Catering Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of the cafe's floor staff and general operations. The Café and Catering Supervisor may also be asked to tend to managerial duties in the extended absence of the Moon Rabbit Manager.
The Café and Catering Supervisor should show passion and innovation in everything they do and desire to contribute to the business reaching its Zero-Waste Goal. They should also embody a drive to inspire and educate both team members and customers on these initiatives.
The Café and Catering Supervisor will assist in coordinating and producing catering jobs & events as required.
- Strengthen the capability of all staff and volunteers in coffee & beverage preparation, customer service and table service, front-of-house operations and menu knowledge.
- Uphold the Moon Rabbit Customer Service Ethos in all decision making, including internal and external communications and provide training and mentoring to all Moon Rabbit Staff and Volunteers to ensure standards are maintained at all times by all team members.
CONSISTENCY & QUALITY
- Create and prepare food and beverages with an eye for detail and commitment to excellence whilst maintaining preparation standards.
- Train café staff, students, and volunteers to prepare food and beverages to standard, providing ongoing support and guidance so that all individuals feel empowered and confident to complete tasks.
- Create a space for both customers and staff that feels safe and inclusive.
- Use your eye for detail to maintain a clean, hygienic and sleek space in indoor and outdoor spaces.
FRONT OF HOUSE OPERATIONS
- Provide training to all staff, students and volunteers and use regular check-ins to ensure quality and service of products is maintained at all times.
- Prepare Padre Specialty coffee and other hot beverages focusing on high quality, consistency, accuracy and speed, providing staff with ongoing support and training to ensure that pitch-perfect, consistent coffee is provided to every customer of Moon Rabbit.
- A sequence of service: Provide a high level of table service that is operationally efficient, aiming to provide a seamless experience using intuition and customer service skills to gauge customer wants and needs.
- Create easy-to-follow instructions, visual guides and procedures for all Moon Rabbit staff to ensure 100% consistency of product preparation and that guides are responsive to different learning styles.
- Use Square POS system to process orders
- Cook to order food: prepare menu items and specials to order, aiming for minimal wait times whilst maintaining consistency.
- Complete daily open and close checklists and daily/weekly/monthly cleaning checklists.
- Ensure front counter displays are full, clean and labelled.
- Ensure the specials board is well-presented and up-to-date.
- Motivate and guide team members to maintain a clean working space during busy times.
- Reconciling daily cash taking, reporting any variances directly to the Moon Rabbit Manager.
- Develop a positive working relationship with existing customers for repeat business.
- Respond to catering inquiries in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare comprehensive catering quotes in conjunction with Moon Rabbit manager
- Oversee food preparation, transportation for catering.
- Strive to reach Moon Rabbit's Zero-waste goals and embrace these throughout all decision-making processes
- Seek to minimise the environmental impact of Moon Rabbit's operation wherever possible by reducing food waste, reducing general waste, reducing water and energy consumption where possible, and minimising food and transport miles by sourcing products locally.
- Maintain and implement waste management systems that help the team easily abide by, monitor and collect data on waste output and use this data to inform impact measurement and future decision making.
- Educate the Moon Rabbit team members on environmental and sustainability measures and best communicate these with customers.
- Aim to minimise the amount of take-away packaging by offering incentives or educational promotional periods to help customers reduce their use of single-use packaging.
- Work with the Chef to monitor waste coming both out of the kitchen and back in from tables and aim to reduce this, i.e. plate waste = reduce portion sizes.
- Educate Moon Rabbit customers and the general community on reducing their environmental impact through their purchases and lifestyle choices.
STOCK LEVEL MAINTENANCE AND ORDERING
In conjunction with the Chef
- Develop and nurture strong relationships with all suppliers that allow for open and honest feedback and questioning about supply chain transparency.
- Make well-informed menu planning and purchasing decisions that consider: economics, seasonality, locality, supply chain, packaging, logistics and efficiency in collaboration with Supervisors.
- Perform regular stock takes to maintain stock levels and check for products reaching their expiry.
- Maintain stock levels and place all orders for both food and non-food consumables as per the ordering schedule daily, weekly, fortnightly, and monthly.
- Monitor the prices of seasonal items to ensure sales margins are accurate and that informed, feasible menu item decisions are made.
- Work with suppliers to eliminate or minimise the use of single-use packaging
- Follow 'First in First Out' procedures to ensure stock rotation
- Adhere to Moon Rabbit's food safety program and Bridge Darebin policies to ensure food is of the highest quality and avoid spoilage.
TRAINING AND MENTORING– Tiered Training & Transition Program (a job-ready training program for neurodiverse people under 28)
- Work with the TTT Placement & Wellbeing Officer and Café Service Assistant to deliver training to our neurodiverse TTT students.
- Participate in running and coordinating classroom training sessions and workshops relative to hospitality skills and café placement.
- Support the design and delivery of practical modules of the TTT program
- Be willing to share your expertise and teach skills to volunteers who assist with food preparation.
- Provide training, support, and guidance to Moon Rabbit staff as trainers and mentors through their shifts.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFTEY
- Actively promote health and safety, and take reasonably practicable steps to control risks, ensuring a safe workplace for visitors, staff and volunteers;
- Comply with legislation and all Bridge Darebin OHS policies/procedures and instructions, reporting any hazards or safety issues and performing all tasks in a manner that guards against risk to self and others within the workplace.
The Moon Rabbit Café and Catering Supervisor can expect to be allocated duties, not explicitly mentioned in this document, but within the capacity, qualifications and experience generally expected from persons occupying positions at this classification.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
The person for this position will have demonstrated experience in:
- Independently managing time, prioritising and planning work to meet set timelines in an environment of competing priorities.
- Understanding and commitment to working in a community organisation or appropriate environment can relate to a wide range of people.
- Maintaining confidentiality and using diplomacy concerning all work activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills demonstrating the ability to communicate and liaise effectively and sensitively at a high level with internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly developed interpersonal negotiating and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in the broad range of Microsoft Office products, particularly Word and Excel and confidence with email, Internet and SharePoint.
- Demonstrated experience leading and supervising teams.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum two years working in a café or catering operation
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritise, and manage competing tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to follow company policies and procedures,
- Demonstrated ability to pro-actively seek out and complete tasks any time you are not actively serving customers
- Food Handling Certificate or Food Safety Supervisor Certificate
- Strong leadership and motivational skills, including the ability to build strong relationships with customers and staff
- Experience in training people in hospitality environments
- Ability to manage in a diverse environment with a focus on client and customer services
- The ability to think quickly, work in pressured circumstances and stay calm in a crisis
- A passion, curiosity and enthusiasm for great food and coffee.
- A passion and understanding for working with and helping people with additional learning needs to achieve their goals
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety responsibilities in a café environment.
- Knowledge and experience of Not-for-Profit community organisations and social enterprises.
- Financial, budgeting and stock-taking skills
APPOINTMENT IS SUBJECT TO:
- A current Working with Children check.
- Current Victoria Police check.
- Current and clean Victorian Drivers Licence