ORGANISATION: WHO IS THE PHYSICAL DISABILITY COUNCIL OF NSW?
The Physical Disability Council of NSW (PDCN) is the not-for-profit peak representative organisation of and for, people with physical disability across New South Wales.
Join our small but dynamic team, helping to build empowered, inclusive communities for people with physical disabilities across NSW through advocacy, education, information and capacity building initiatives.
A strategic thinker with highly developed advocacy and analytical skills, and significant relevant experience, the Senior Policy Officer will contribute to PDCN’s systemic advocacy and policy position development, prepare policy responses, and take carriage of proactive advocacy projects to promote and enhance the rights of people with physical disability across NSW
- Hours: Full Time 38hrs p/week (happy to consider part time option for best candidate)
- Initial contract to end June 2022, with likelihood of extension
- Remuneration: SCHADS Level 5, paypoint 1 (90K+ including super, additional salary packaging available)
- Responsible to: Policy Lead
- Location: Glebe, NSW 2037
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identifying, prioritising and researching current and emerging policy issues and priorities within the disability sector;
- Develop policy papers, position statements, briefings, reports, and written submissions;
- Assist in determining proactive focus areas and developing policy positions on issues relevant to people with a physical disability in NSW;
- Assist in the planning and development of proactive strategic projects; take responsibility for the delivery of outcomes under agreed projects;
- Participation across advisory panels and consultations as a representative of PDCN and the physical disability community of NSW;
- Planning, development, and delivery of community consultations;
- Design and administer surveys; collate and analyse data;
- Other projects and duties as identified by Chief Executive Officer and Policy Lead.
- Tertiary qualification in Policy, Law, Social Sciences or equivalent related field; and at least 3 years experience in a policy role
- Exceptional written communication skills, with the ability to produce formal responses and submissions to tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated capacity to exercise judgement and initiative within prescribed areas of work;
- High level project management skills with the ability to manage strategic projects with limited supervision, and balance competing priorities;
- Articulate oral communication skills, able to represent PDCN’s policy positions to key stakeholders in Government, advisory panels and other forums;
- Highly developed advocacy, analytical and negotiation skills;
- Experience researching and deciphering Government policy and legislation;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in using Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience working in a not for profit or disability environment;
- Experience in community development and community engagement;
- An understanding of NSW Parliamentary operations;
- In-depth understanding of function and administration of the NDIS or Government funded aged care services.
- Flexible work environment and practices
- Supportive, friendly and collaborative team
- Attractive remuneration package, including salary sacrificing options and leave loading
Should you want to make a meaningful contribution to improving the lives of people with physical disabilities, and enabling full inclusion in the community, we invite you to apply.
Persons with a physical disability are encouraged to apply.
For further enquiries, or should you require details of this role in a more accessible format, please contact Serena Ovens, Chief Executive Officer on (02) 9552 1606.
A position description is attached.