- Part time (0.8 FTE)
- 12 month contract (with possibility of extension)
- Salary: $65,000 + superannuation (pro rata)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Multi-disciplinary team environment
- Challenging and rewarding role, reporting to the Executive Manager—Advocacy
- Unique opportunity to make in impact on the protection of Victoria’s significant trees and landscapes
The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) is an independent, non-profit organisation supported by a large community base. We are Victoria’s premier heritage and conservation organisation and our mission is to inspire the community to appreciate, conserve and celebrate its diverse natural, cultural, social and Indigenous heritage.
About the job:
Working within the National Trust’s small and mighty Advocacy Team, you will advocate for the protection of significant trees and landscapes across the state, develop policy and strategy to increase our impact, and provide specialist advice to our Assets & Conservation Team to support the management of our properties, building our capacity as the custodian of environmentally significant heritage places.
- You will have the opportunity to visit National Trust properties and other heritage places in Victoria, learn from our multidisciplinary team, and engage with our network of industry experts.
- You will develop policies on key environmental heritage issue, demonstrating leadership and building community capacity (eg urban forest; climate resilience; protection of significant landscapes).
- You will engage with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders and develop an engagement strategy to raise awareness of the National Trust’s environmental heritage advocacy role.
- You will oversee our exciting environmental heritage projects and programs including the National Register of Significant Trees and Tree of the Year, and contribute to the delivery of our Reconciliation Action Plan and Climate Action Plan.
- You will advocate for the protection of places of environmental significance, preparing submissions in relation to policies and planning issues impacting Victoria’s environmental heritage.
- You will provide advice to the Assets and Conservation Team on the appropriate management of environmental heritage assets within our property portfolio, including Trust for Nature covenanted properties Mooramong and Endeavour Fern Gully.
You will have specialist qualifications in an area of environmental heritage practice (eg botany, ecology, planning, garden history), while also being able to apply your expertise and skills beyond your area of specialisation, across a diverse portfolio of projects, campaigns, and properties.
You will also have:
- Professional or volunteer experience in heritage or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated passion for Victoria’s natural and cultural heritage.
- The capacity to think strategically, with a focus on impact and results, and the ability to solve complex issues to build organisational capability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects end to end.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed under pressure and manage competing priorities while meeting challenging deadlines.
- High level of initiative, and demonstrated ability to work successfully within a team, as well as independently.
Any offer of employment at the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) will be subject to a satisfactory Police Records check and/or Working with Children check. Current unrestricted driver's license is essential.
Thank you for considering helping the National Trust of Australia (Victoria). The National Trust is built on the power of the community.
We believe in inclusiveness, diversity and equality and are committed to ensuring that our workplaces are a reflection of that.
We encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply to our vacancies.
We promote diversity and practice equity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.