- Full time, 38 hours per week (5 days)
- Permanent role
National Disability Services (NDS) is Australia's peak body for non-government disability service organisations, representing over 1180 non-government service providers.
At NDS, we are committed to supporting our members and the disability sector more broadly to provide high quality support and services to people with disability. NDS promotes the full inclusion of people with disability and this commitment is outlined in our Disability Action Plan (DAP).
NDS is committed to fostering an inclusive and values driven work environment respecting the diversity of our employees, and the members and communities we serve.
NDS employees come with a strong appreciation for the disability sector, and the passion to make a difference.
The State Manager is a senior position providing leadership in influencing public policy (both locally and nationally), developing and disseminating information and providing networking opportunities that support NDS members in their work to deliver high quality support and life opportunities for people with disability.
A strong understanding of, and ability to advocate on operational and wider policy issues concerning workforce, the NDIS and disability employment are critical to success in this role.
The State Manager will work as part of a cohesive national organisation to grow membership and deliver value to members. Seeking sector wide funding opportunities to build knowledge, skills and relationships in the broader disability sector is also a key feature of the role.
This position is part of the executive management team of NDS.
It is expected that the position holder is aligned to, and demonstrates NDS’s values of respect, teamwork and collaboration, leadership, innovation and finance at all times.
- Demonstrate values driven leadership to the State Office team and to the wider NDS team
- Drive local membership growth and retention in conjunction with the Head of Membership and Marketing; and provide high quality information to members
- Demonstrate strong understanding of workforce, the NDIS and disability employment issues
- Generate income growth from multiple channels – membership, government and other sources
- Develop, lead and coordinate local policy initiatives, projects and member support and sector initiatives
- Work collaboratively with NDS staff across Australia to support delivery of NDS’ strategic objectives
- Contribute to the development of national policy initiatives, key projects and member support and sector initiatives
- Manage the administration and finances of the Tasmanian office
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and working collaboratively within a team environment
- High level consultation, communication and interpersonal skills with the demonstrated capacity to build relationships, engage with a range of internal and external stakeholders and navigate different and competing interests
- Capability to contribute at a local and national level to ensure sustainable outcomes aligned to national policies, legislation and NDS’s strategic direction
- Demonstrated knowledge and a contemporary understanding of the disability sector including workforce, the NDIS, industrial relations, disability human rights and the barriers/ opportunities to community inclusion and employment for people with disability.
- An understanding of public policy processes, with knowledge of wider disability policy and allied areas of human service policy, workforce policy and industrial relations would be highly desirable.
- Innovative thinking and problem solving skills to implement solutions aligned to NDS’ strategic direction
- Demonstrated evidence of adaptability and resilience in a changing business context
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office Suite;
- A tertiary qualification in a social sciences / social policy discipline is desirable but not essential; and
- Capacity to undertake regular travel within the state, and nationally as needed (when border restrictions are eased)
What we offer
- Flexible working including working from home
- Salary packaging
- Collaborative environment
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning and development
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact David Moody, CEO NDS on 03 8341 4343.
Thank you for your interest in the position. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
No agencies please.
If you have any requirements for the interview (e.g. mobility access, or other adjustments), please let us know in advance so accessibility arrangements can be made.
NDS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applications from all diverse groups and backgrounds.
A position description is attached.