ABOUT THE POSITION
As the Forests Organiser & Campaigner your key responsibilities and strategic objectives will be to:
- Develop effective campaigns that attract widespread media coverage and community interest;
- Generate tangible protection of forests, including stopping logging operations;
- Encourage donations to support the continuation of the position.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITY
- Design and deliver campaigns around such issues as:
- An end to logging in public native forests and their restoration and management for non timber values such as biodiversity carbon sequestration and improved water quality and yields;
- Forest health and well-being post bushfires including opposing logging of remaining unburned forests and ‘salvage logging’;
- Biomass and the burning of native forests as so called ‘clean and green energy”;
- Conservation and enhancement of forest biodiversity including koalas.
- Develop the online presence of the conservation movement on the North Coast.
- Participate in meetings with key decisions makers in Government including Forestry, EPA etc as well as key community groups including Local Government, Indigenous groups and other potentially supportive NGOs
- Develop diverse community support for the issues and campaigns.
- Attract media coverage of the issues and campaigns.
- Conduct fundraising campaigns to raise funds to support the ongoing Forest campaigner role as well as campaign activities and resources.
- Track outcomes and data including conducting surveys where relevant.
- Identify capacity needs on the north coast and organise appropriate training to meet those needs.
Talents & Capabilities
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to the protection of native forests and biodiversity;
- Highly organised and ability to manage own workload priorities with minimal supervision;
- Ability to provide timely and concise written reports to the steering group outlining progress against the work plan;
- Commitment to working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders including Indigenous groups; and
- Ability to deliver the objectives and within the designated timeframes.
Skills & Experience
- High level communications skills including the ability to deliver high quality written submissions to government that clearly and concisely articulate issues and demonstrate evidence based research;
- Strong community engagement skills including demonstrated experience in running media campaigns both on a face to face and on line basis; and
- Good skills in conflict resolution.
WE VALUE DIVERSITY
We are an equal opportunity employer. We believe we are more effective when our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building on the perspectives, talent, experience, knowledge and skills that diversity brings to our organisation.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion and strongly encourage people of all cultures, genders, abilities, and experiences to apply.
For more information, please contact:
Strategy and Operations Director
email@example.com, using the subject line: Forests Organiser & Campaigner enquiry via EthicalJobs
02 9516 1488
Applicants must have a legal right to work in Australia and a willingness to work flexible hours. We will review applications and interview suitable candidates throughout the advertising period so we encourage you to apply early.
A position description is attached.