About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
This position has a key role in supporting clients with disability, including psycho social disabilities, across our disability programs. The types of clients that seek services from our Occupational Therapist include;
- Children or adults with disabilities who receive funding through he NDIS, in particular; positive behaviour support planning & specialist behavioural intervention support, assessments (sensory, motor skills, functional) and therapeutic support
- Assessments such as functional, living skills, wheelchair and home modification assessments
- Children or adults with Autism, sensory processing issues and poor motor skills
We are seeking to fill this role very flexibly on either a part or full time basis for the successful candidate. An attractive remuneration package and flexible working arrangements
- Provide clinical knowledge and expertise to Life Without Barriers mental health programs
- Provide assessments of clients’ cognitive and learning abilities, living skills, emotional, mental health status and behavioural profile.
- Develop and monitor intervention plans and strategies for people living with complex mental health issues
- Provide individual or group based interventions where required
- Provide input and support in relation to transition of clients to National Disability Insurance Scheme. Including assisting with planning and development of skills to build individual capacity.
- Work Collaboratively with other allied health professionals
- Effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders
Skills and experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Occupational Therapy and current registration with the professional body
- Demonstrated experience in assessing and planning interventions with consumers
- Sound knowledge of the National Disability Insurance Scheme, including eligibility, assessment and planning processes
- Sound knowledge of the Recovery Framework, and its implications in practice
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing person centred interventions
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA.