About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
Our Purpose is to partner with people to change their lives for the better. Our values state our beliefs, drive our purpose and drive everything we do. All people engaged by Life Without Barriers are required to uphold our values of being: Responsive, Imaginative, Courageous, Respectful and promoting Relationships.
About the Role
Next Step Plus is a newly funded program focused on preparing young people from the age of 15 who are in care, to develop the skills and knowledge they need to live as an independent adult and to ensure those who have left care are able to receive additional support and services if required.
In this role you will have the opportunity to further your experience and make a real difference!
You will be a part of a dedicated team providing a localised and collaborative approach engaging and supporting young people from the age of 15 years and ensuring those who have left care are able to receive additional support and services if needed until they are 25.
This position is based at our office in Milton, however this role requires a high level of autonomy and you will have access to flexible working arrangements such as working from home.
As part of LWB Next Step Plus you will:
- Work as part of a dedicated team addressing the impacts of abuse, neglect, separation from families and complex trauma on young people in out of home care and adults who have exited the care system.
- Facilitate the participation of young people in planning and decision making.
- Develop and maintain relationships with significant family members, friends, community organisations and government agencies to promote lasting connections and positive outcomes for young people.
- Work with government and community stakeholders to support young people in care (15+) in developing transition plans, gaining the skills, knowledge and networks they need including identifying a natural mentor.
- Facilitate opportunities for the young person to participate in peer groups and networking enabling the young person to develop relationships with peers, learn from others, and build a social support network.
- Implement strategies supporting Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander Young people to maintain their culture and identity.
- Maintain cultural safe practice with the young person.
- Relevant Tertiary qualifications (3 year Bachelor Degree) within the community service sector; Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Human Services and/or relevant experience will be considered.
- A current Unrestricted Australian Driver’s License.
- Experience in supporting young people (“walking with them”), identifying their goals, strengths and aspirations and assisting in achieving these goals and transitioning to independent adult life.
- Knowledge of issues facing young people who have exited the Out of Home Care system including homelessness, long term unemployment, domestic violence, drug addiction, mental health issues, economic instability, social and cultural isolation and disability.
- Knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues / protocols and in particular, those pertaining to Child, Youth & Family and child protection.
- Working knowledge of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community in which Next Step Plus is implemented, including knowledge of key Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders, elders, stakeholders and informal community resources and social networks.
- High level written communication skills for the creation of reports, correspondence and other material.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and the ability to apply these skills in case management/coordination.
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Competitive base salary and excellent NFP tax benefits
- Permanent Full Time Position with Monthly RDO and flexible working arrangements
- Make a difference in the lives of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children, young people, families and communities
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For confidential enquiries including persons with disability that require application adjustments, contact email@example.com, using the subject line: Case Manager, Next Step Plus enquiry via EthicalJobs.
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA).