Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a highly motivated and qualified person to provide day-to-day support in ensuring the smooth and efficient running of HRW’s Sydney office in the Operations Department. This Operations Officer will also provide operational support to staff based remotely in Melbourne and Perth. This position would be ideal for candidates interested in developing their skills and experience in non-profit or charitable management and leadership. This position will report primarily to the Director of Financial Operations, AMEA based in New York with a reporting line to the Australia Director based in Sydney.
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are currently closed or operating in reduced capacities. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely initially, or if local requirements mandate it. We recognise that this moment, during the pandemic, is a uniquely difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
- Act as the local Finance representative and assist with the implementation of Finance policies locally;
- Manage the bank accounts and cash flows for Sydney;
- Prepare, plan and monitor the office budget;
- Record all monthly financial activity into the organisation’s financial systems;
- Process financial transactions including bill payments, expense reimbursements and disbursements;
- Run internal and external financial reports;
- Assist with the preparation of our quarterly financial reports that are provided to the Board;
- Assist with the preparation of our Financial schedules for various Assets and Liabilities accounts (example: Prepayments and Accounts Receivables);
- Assist with maintaining the Fixed Asset schedules;
- Work with staff globally to ensure timely conclusion to the Year-end Audit;
- Prepare vacation schedules to be provided as part of the Financial year-end audit process;
- Organise the Annual General Meeting and other Board meetings by preparing all necessary documents;
- Conduct initial quarterly review of the General Ledger to ensure proper accounting of activities;
- Assist with the quarterly reconciliation of our GST claims;
- Work with our external partners to ensure timely processing of our GST;
- Work with financial service vendors such as auditors, accountants and governmental tax offices;
- Assist the Director of Financial Operations, AMEA in handling issues in relation to HRW’s legal, branch and charitable status;
Facilities and Administration
- Maintain the smooth and effective functioning of the office;
- Handle general office maintenance and facilities issues;
- Liaise with suppliers and providers and negotiate commercial and services contracts in a cost-effective manner;
- Respond to general inquiries and assist with visitors;
- Maintain office security and protocols and ensure office safety standards are in compliance with local regulations;
- Oversee office moves, configuration and space sourcing;
- Act as the local HR representative and assist with the implementation of HR policies locally;
- Liaise and assist HR staff in headquarters with legal and HR audit issues locally;
- Maintain a good understanding and working knowledge of compliance with local employment laws, including assisting with immigration, visas and relocation of employees;
- Assist with the onboarding and departure of local staff, fellows, consultants, interns, and volunteers;
- Administer and process local employee payroll, pensions, health benefits and insurance;
- Liaise with local government offices, insurance and pension providers, and other HR service providers;
- Maintain a unified filing system;
Information Technology (IT)
- Liaise with IT/helpdesk to troubleshoot computer problems and back up and update network files as necessary;
- Liaise with IT or the local phone service and internet provider to troubleshoot phone and internet problems; and
- Perform other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent training in finance, accounting, business administration, nonprofit management, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of three years of operations or administrative experience, preferably in a global organisation, is required. Experience in accounting, bookkeeping, nonprofit management, and/or business administration is highly desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong organisational, administrative, analytical, and financial skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high energy, and attention to detail are required.
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative, prioritise with minimal supervision, and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously and working effectively toward deadlines are required.
- Proven track record of taking initiative and problem solving is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; proficiency in additional languages is advantageous.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
- Good judgment, discretion, and the ability to maintain confidentiality are essential.
- Experience with finance, human resources databases is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with a team of talented professionals in multiple global locations is highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately by clicking on Apply Now and uploading a cover letter and CV or resume. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email email@example.com using the subject line: Operations Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
A position description is attached.