About Climate Council
The Climate Council is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation. We provide authoritative, expert advice to the Australian public and key decision-makers on climate change and solutions based on the most up-to-date science available. The Climate Council was founded in 2013 by thousands of Australians to create a new, independent and 100% community-funded organisation in response to the abolition of the Australian Climate Commission.
Our Vision, Mission and Values
Our vision is that by 2025 Australia’s emissions are on a steep downward trajectory with projects and policies in place to see us cut emissions by 75% by 2030 and net zero by 2035. This represents a transformation in action and attitude from all levels of government, industry, business and community. It also fundamentally improves Australia's contribution to the global climate challenge, while unlocking benefits/potential of the new economy, and protecting lives, well-being and the natural environment.
Our mission is to be a courageous catalyst propelling Australia towards bold, effective action to have emissions plummet during the 2020s and hit net zero by 2035.
- We are brave and bold
- We are hopeful and solutions focused
- We act with integrity and communicate honestly
About the Role
The Senior Researcher is part of Australia’s premier team of climate solutions experts, climate scientists, health and climate security experts, economists and policy specialists. They play a leadership role in the development and delivery of the research agenda and organisational strategy on Climate Solutions, and work collaboratively with the Research and Campaigns teams in program execution. The Senior Researcher (Climate Solutions) also plays an active role in supporting the Climate Council’s well-earned reputation for providing frank, fearless, accessible, and scientifically-robust climate information to key stakeholders and the general public.
The Senior Researcher reports to the Head of Research.
The key responsibilities of the Senior Researcher (Climate Solutions) include:
- Develop and implement the Climate Solutions research strategy and activities in alignment with the Climate Council Strategy, and in consultation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Produce accurate, high-quality, high-impact publications on an array of climate solutions, including across the topics of energy, transport, clean industries and the new economy, with some focus on Queensland. This includes managing technical and scientific reviews of reports with relevant external experts to ensure a high level of integrity is embedded in our reports.
- Manage and coordinate reviews of relevant solutions literature, summarising key themes and concepts, including identifying key risks and translating this research into factual engaging content for a general audience.
- In collaboration with the campaigns team, develop policy recommendations for decision-makers arising from Climate Solutions research.
- Providing support to other teams in the organisation, including the Media, Campaigns and Community teams, to maintain the Climate Council’s well-earned reputation for providing frank, fearless, accessible, scientifically-robust climate information to key stakeholders and the general public. This may include participating in media interviews.
- Stay up-to-date with relevant climate solutions-related scientific, technical, policy and political developments.
- Contribute positively to building the Climate Council culture and mission.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
Experience and Skills
- Over five years of demonstrated experience in research, climate change/solutions and/or similar
- Demonstrated climate solutions knowledge or experience across a range of topics such as renewable energy, transport, clean industry and manufacturing is required
- Demonstrated climate solutions knowledge or experience that goes beyond the electricity sector will be highly regarded
- Excellent skills in developing and delivering strategic research plans
- Track record of excellent project and/or program management
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a wide variety of individuals and organisations
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines and balance reactive and proactive workload.
- Strong initiative and an ability to work autonomously
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to distil complex issues for a lay audience, and exemplary abilities in writing for a range of audiences
- Ability to adapt and respond positively in circumstances where priorities need to shift quickly
- Some media experience is preferable
- A Bachelor’s degree in climate change or a relevant field.
- Masters-level tertiary qualifications or higher will be highly regarded.
Remuneration and Benefits
This exciting and dynamic organisation will continue to be in the public eye, giving those involved an unrivalled opportunity to contribute to the public discourse on climate change. With exposure to some of the leading minds tackling climate change, this role is a unique opportunity.
- Annual salary of $85-$90k+ super (contingent on experience)
- Full time, permanent
- Sydney or Melbourne preferred
- Assuming Sydney or Melbourne split of working from home/working from our offices in either Sydney Surry Hills or Melbourne CBD.
- Excellent learning and development opportunities
- A strong work culture which is results focused but also supportive and nimble
- A dynamic organisation and experienced team
How to apply
The Climate Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, or political affiliation. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are strongly encouraged to apply for all advertised positions.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter of no more than two pages outlining how you meet the criteria above.
If you have any questions regarding the position please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Senior Researcher (Climate Solutions) enquiry via EthicalJobs.