ABOUT ASTHMA WA
Asthma WA has a purpose to raise awareness so that every person living with asthma has an asthma action plan and is taking medication appropriately.
Helping West Australians breathe better.
Leading the education and empowerment of West Australians to take control of their respiratory health.
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic, experienced and confident community educator who is passionate about helping people with asthma and related respiratory conditions.
Reporting to the General Manager – Health and Regional Services, the Respiratory Educator is responsible for delivering high quality health education services and programs in the community. Working as part of our small team, this role is involved in implementing a range of respiratory health education services to internal and external stakeholders. The key focus of this position is to provide quality education and support to consumers, stakeholders and staff. This includes group and individual education, as well as utilising video conferencing to ensure people with asthma and those who care for them have access to best practice asthma education.
To be successful in this position, you must have current knowledge of health and chronic conditions, and recent experience delivering education in a community setting.
Respiratory Health Service Delivery
- Promote, implement and evaluate specific asthma and COPD education programs
- Deliver respiratory education to a wide variety of audiences – including consumers, carers, health professionals, schools, corporate stakeholders
- Identify and support opportunities to increase awareness of Asthma WA in the community and with primary health providers, and provide advocacy for people with asthma and other respiratory conditions at all levels
- Represent Asthma WA on working groups and committees relevant to the cause
- Drive referrals through engagement with stakeholders at all levels – other health professionals, pharmacies, GP’s, personal networks
- Review and update content of Asthma WA education packages and information Fact Sheets
- Utilise information technology to deliver services online and via videoconferencing
- Maintain client records and databases as per Asthma WA procedures, including the utilisation of my Health Record across the organisation
- Drive referrals / recruitment to the COACH program to meet contracted KPI’s
- Assist in the implementation of robust evaluation processes to assess impact, outcomes and efficacy of service delivery
- Provide coordination and support to the Health Services Team in an allocated area of project development, for example:
- Child and Adolescent Services
- Aged and Disability Services
- Cultural Services
- Stakeholder relations
- Be the “go to” person within the organisation for that area of service delivery
- Provide project coordination for new and existing programs within the portfolio
- Develop and maintain relationships with external stakeholders and service providers
- Identify gaps in service provision and assist in development of opportunities
- Coordinate information sharing and promotion / advocacy opportunities for Asthma WA staff (eg. Attendance at expos)
- Identify opportunities for professional upskilling for Asthma WA internal staff
- Support and participate in the implementation of the Asthma WA Strategic Plan
- Produce monthly activity reports for the GM – Health and Regional Services
- Comply with work place policies and procedures, including Occupational Safety and Health, Equal Opportunity legislation and Privacy legislation
- Other reasonable duties as requested by GM – Health and Regional Services
- Tertiary qualification or equivalent experience in health, education, health promotion or related industry
- Experience and knowledge of asthma and related respiratory conditions will be highly regarded
- Experience in the development, delivery and evaluation of education programs
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and negotiation skills
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to undertake education and training, presenting to a variety of audiences eg: community groups, health professionals, one/one education
- Ability to make and maintain stakeholder relationships, both internally and externally
- Computer literacy skills in Microsoft Office
- Current C Class drivers license and access to a reliable motor vehicle
- Must be a non smoker (includes vaping)
- Knowledge of or experience in the NFP sector and health service delivery
- Experience using Record Management systems