Mito Foundation is seeking a confident grant writer who will be responsible for identifying grant application opportunities and preparing proposals for all relevant funders (private, corporate and philanthropic funders). We are looking for a casual or contract grant writer with an estimated capacity of 1-2 days/week.
About Mitochondrial Disease
Mito is a potentially fatal genetic disorder that robs the body's cells of the energy they need to thrive. Only recently identified and originally thought to be a rare disorder (affecting one in 20,000 people), it is now known that one in 5,000 live births will result in a life-threatening form of mito. Furthermore, one in 200 people carry genetic mutations that put them at risk of developing milder forms of the disease or unknowingly passing it on to their children.
About Mito FOUNDATION
Mito Foundation supports individuals impacted by mitochondrial disease (mito) and their families via:
- Improving the experience for mito patients and families by offering a range of Mito Foundation and community generated activities that result in the mito community feeling cared for, heard, supported and empowered
- Research into mito by identifying and funding strategic research initiatives that improve diagnosis and treatment and translate into preventions, treatments and cures
- Transforming outcomes for mito patients and families by advocating and educating appropriate stakeholders to achieve equitable access to high quality diagnosis, treatment and support
- Strengthening our organisation through excellent governance, financial security, capacity and capability
Role Responsibilities include:
- Engaging wide-ranging and targeted research from internal and external resources to identify funders
- Understanding and distilling Mito Foundation’s offering by liaising with subject matter experts and translate to individual funder needs
- Interpreting subject content and develop into persuasive written form for funder proposals, drawing on existing submission and marketing materials, and creating copy where relevant
- Draft funding proposals consulting with key stakeholders
- Managing the pipeline of opportunities, ensuring all records are kept up to date and all identified opportunities are progressed and transmitted.
- Ensuring a healthy funnel is maintained with consistent new opportunity leads
- Work closely with Fundraising Relationship Manager to identify new proposal opportunities and ensure current funding relationships are well maintained
- Reporting proposal status information to Development Manager in regular review meetings.
What we are looking for in a candidate:
- Minimum of 1-year experience in grant writing, prospect research, general fundraising or a minimum of 2 years comparable and transferable skills acquired in a professional setting
- Strong CRM data management and record keeping, ideally Salesforce
- Excellent, persuasive written communication skills
- Highly organised and deadline oriented
- Problem solving skills
- Pro-active and highly motivated work ethic, able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Passion, interest, and enthusiasm to work in the health or rare disease space
- Knowledge of the Australian health system
Please call Penelope Frew, Development Manager on (02) 8033 4113 with any questions before applying.
A position description is attached.