Media and Communications Advisors to ACT Greens Ministers in the Legislative Assembly
Members for Kurrajong Ministers Shane Rattenbury and Rebecca Vassarotti; Member for Murrumbidgee Minister Emma Davidson
ACT Greens Ministers Shane Rattenbury, Rebecca Vassarotti and Emma Davidson are seeking 2 Media and Communications Advisors for their Assembly offices to work as part of their communications team.
Key duties are media relations and content development, including:
- Writing media releases, preparing speeches and responses to media inquiries
- Liaising with the Ministers’ Directorates and other Ministers’ offices to identify, plan and manage the Ministers’ media opportunities and events
- Providing high-level advice to the Minister to answer and handle media inquiries and issues
- Anticipating, identifying and analysing major issues and preparing appropriate responses or strategies for the MLAs
- Ensuring Minister is across whole-of-government media issues, and brief other ministers’ offices as appropriate on portfolio issues of media interest
- Supporting the Minister to engage with constituents in their electorate
- Supporting development and implementation of long-term social and online media strategies
- Using a range of channels to engage Canberrans in the political process and bringing their voices into government decision-making.
- Facilitating government transparency and accountability by proactively and reactively providing information to constituents, community stakeholders and the media.
- Applying evolving best practice in writing, photography, graphic design and video production to create impactful content such as media releases, social media posts, talking points, flyers, posters and web pages.
- Developing relationships with external media stakeholders, including national media for relevant issues
- Working as part of a team committed to ecological sustainability, social justice, peace and non-violence and grassroots participatory democracy
- Monitoring daily local political landscape
- Other duties as directed.
- Strong writing skills, with demonstrated ability to translate complex or technical language into information of use to the broader community.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain constructive relationships with a variety of stakeholders in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated experience in media relations, developing responses to enquiries, writing media releases and arranging media events within tight deadlines.
- Skills in content development, such as text, video and images for publication, web and social media. We want to ensure this range of skills is covered by the team as a whole, so please tell us about your particular strengths.
- Aptitude for thinking politically and strategically to achieve the reforms set out by these MLAs, which were endorsed by voters. This requirement includes having a knowledge of, or interest in, the processes of the Legislative Assembly.
The positions will be available from January 2021.
The roles are for the term of the Government and are set at Adviser Level 1 (upper) at $79,310 - $83,200 depending on experience, plus superannuation and 9.5% loadings in lieu of overtime and Long Service Leave.
The successful candidates will be engaged under a Legislative Assembly Members’ Staff contract, and other terms and conditions of employment are governed by the ACT Legislative Assembly Members’ Staff Enterprise Agreement 2018 – 2021. They are not ACT Public Service positions.
Applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged.
The roles are based in the Legislative Assembly, however, given the need for a COVID-safe work environment, flexible arrangements will be supported where possible. Applications for part-time positions will be considered.
For further information please contact Indra Esguerra on (02) 6205 8500.
A position description is attached.