- Attractive salary packaging options available
- Part time (4 days per week), fixed term contract opportunity until June 2022 (with possibility for contract extensions)
- Hybrid working arrangements – Work from home and the office!
About the organisation
Dementia Australia is the national peak body and source of trusted information, education and services for the estimated half a million Australians living with dementia, and the almost 1.6 million people involved in their care. We advocate for positive change and support vital research. We are here to support people impacted by dementia, and to enable them to live as well as possible. Our commitment to a shared set of values shapes our decisions, actions and behaviours towards achieving our core purpose and strategic priorities.
- We connect by promoting a people centred way of working and respecting all
- We collaborate in a supportive manner with each other, other teams, clients and external parties
- We commit to our purpose and direction, are accountable for our actions and support innovation, reshaping the way we do things
about the role
Located in Devonport, TAS, the Dementia Support Specialist will provide short-term interventions at key stages of dementia to enhance wellbeing, including the delivery of psycho-educational and psycho-social interventions as required to meet individual goals, enhance their wellbeing and maintain quality of life of the person living with dementia, their carers and families.
Reporting directly to the Client Services Team Leader, you will also be responsible for:
- Conducting comprehensive assessments of client needs to ensure that appropriate and timely services are received as well as developing and reviewing client plans on a regular basis to ensure supports and services remain relevant and up to date
- Providing support with referrals to diagnostic, health and community support services by utilising local referral systems and supporting clients to navigate the aged care and disability systems as appropriate
- Facilitating individual and group information and education sessions, to people living with dementia, those with cognitive concerns and/or, their families and carers
- Ensuring services are delivered from an enablement perspective, empowering clients to take an active role in directing their own care and services
To be successful in this role you will be a team player, show an absolute commitment to the delivery of high quality dementia services and support and meet the key selection criteria outlined below.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Knowledge and understanding of the impacts of dementia for individuals, carers and their support networks
- Knowledge and experience of group facilitation and group dynamics
- Demonstrated experience in screening and assessing clients (highly regarded)
- The ability to work with clients in a goal-directed way, develop care plans and implement practical strategies for clients, problem solve and enable positive outcomes
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills, including the use of active listening and reflective questioning
- Empathic approach and the ability to quickly build rapport with a diverse range of clients
- Formal qualification (diploma or degree is preferred) in a related field of either Social work, allied health, nursing and/or significant experience working with clients in the delivery of a community based service or within a health related field
- Maintain a current driver’s licence in the relevant state
If you thrive on activity and are looking for the next challenge as part of a dynamic team, we would like to hear from you. In return you will be offered a flexible and supportive environment as well as a number of attractive staff benefits. You will be making a difference in the lives of people living with dementia, their families and friends.
- Applications that do not contain a covering letter that addresses each of the key selection criteria will not be considered
- Previous Applicants need not apply
- Dementia Australia reserves the right to close recruitment for this position as needed