- 12 month contract (option to extend - dependent on project need and funding)
- 3 month probation: Part Time – 2 days/ 16 hours per week
- Salary plus on costs per annum $34,737.41
This role offers you the exciting opportunity to to be an integral part of the team with the Victorian Forest Alliance Inc., dedicated to protecting forests throughout Victoria. It suits a highly motivated, creative team-player with a strong commitment to environmental action who has excellent writing and communication skills, is highly proficient with online media platforms and is confident with interacting with the mainstream media.
Reporting to the VFA Committee, in particular the President, and working closely with the VFA Forest Campaign Coordinator as part of a small team that will drive the new alliance. You will be central in helping to build the Alliance so it is effective and achieves its mission. An in-depth induction about the forest campaign movement and current state of play will be undertaken.
The key responsibilities of the Media Officer:
- Liaising with member groups, supporters and other stakeholders to gather information and develop stories.
- Drafting and distributing media releases
- Filming and photography of VFA events and activities.
- Website updates.
- Drafting and publishing social media posts on FB, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube and managing accounts.
- Developing media and communications strategies in collaboration with VFA committee and other team members.
- Liaising with journalists and producers and providing materials.
- Media monitoring.
The responsibilities of the Media Officer will be wide-ranging and your day to day work will adapt to meet the strategy for achieving the VFAs goals. You will largely work from home but on occasion may be asked to travel to key communities and events across Victoria. Some weekend and evening work will be required. Access to your own computer and internet is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills particularly creating PR angles desirable to media.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to tailor writing to a brief and present material in a concise style for the VFA’s digital platforms.
- High level of proficiency on social media.
- High level of familiarity and understanding of the Australian media landscape and public relations best practice.
- Ability to use technology for effective communication and information across a wide range of platforms.
- Efficiency and ability to shift between tasks.
- Experience liaising with journalists and producers.
- Capacity to work collaboratively and flexibly whether in a team or independently, in a complex environment with changing demands.
- Experience in dealing with media and generating coverage.
- Ability to assist in the coordination of media launches and events.
- Advanced MS Word, Excel and Outlook Express.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Tertiary qualification in public relations, communication and/or journalism.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience in a similar role.
- Familiarity with online platforms including Nation Builder.
- Experience in conducting and setting up interviews.
- Photography and film experience – ideally with skills in telling a campaign’s story through the framing and selecting of images and video content.
- Committed to the protection of country and justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- A collaborator with a belief in and commitment to building the VFA.
- Passionate about protecting Victoria’s forests.
- A team player, who is respectful, constructive and able to build relationships with a wide range of people and stakeholders.
- Resilient and willing to persevere to reach long term goals.
- Committed to equity, diversity and inclusion
If you have any questions please contact [email protected], using the subject line: Media Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.
To submit your application, click Apply Now.