- Full Time Ongoing
- Bundoora location
About the Organisation:
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role:
This role is responsible for providing support and information for people with disabilities, across their life-cycle and in all domains of life, to enable access to a quality life with dignity, respect and social inclusion in the least restrictive environment. Working in the group home, respite, residential facilities and the community providing outreach services and in-service support roles including intake/response and case management.
- Located in Bundoora - Supporting the House Supervisor to provide best practice support, supervision and mentoring to other team members
- Provide direct support to clients with complex needs, to participate in a range of life areas (including assistance in physical, medical, social, recreational and daily living activities) based on the goals of individual support and care plans
- Advocate for people with a disability to improve client outcomes and achieve desired goals by engaging with clients and their families to provide information and knowledge from which to develop and maintain comprehensive client support plans (including health specific or positive behaviour plans for people with complex needs)
- Provide information, advice and referral, where required, to crisis intervention services for people with a disability, their families, carers and/or service providers
- Develop, implement, monitor and review client support plans (under professional supervision)
- Coordinate and negotiate with family members, health services, activity providers, and other community services to help meet daily client needs and/or to plan support for future client requirements
- Under general direction, undertake more complex direct care functions or contribute to the design and implementation of a range of plans where appropriate
- Advanced Diploma in Disability Work/Community Welfare, Bachelor of Applied Science (Disability), registered or eligibility to be registered as a Mental Retardation Nurse or equivalent
- Current Employee Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Level 2 First Aid Certificate
- Full driver’s licence
Key Skills & Experience:
- Proven experience working at a senior level within a disability support role with clients with complex needs – Behavioural and High Support
- Strong Interpersonal and communication skills demonstrating empathy and understanding of clients' needs and showing ability to expresses thoughts and ideas in a constructive and diplomatic way both orally and in written formats
- Positive Stakeholder management skills: responsive to clients’ needs including maintaining positive communication with clients and stakeholders
- Self-management: demonstrating the ability to accept responsibility for own actions; focus on the key goals whilst drawing on personal strengths and recognising and addressing areas for development
- Advanced computer skills
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Life Without Barriers offers ongoing training, support and career advancement opportunities
- Opportunity to play a real and active part in improving the lives and well being of clients
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).