The Opportunity to Make a Difference:
Our in-house Legal team is part of the broader Finance & Corporate Support Group. The Legal team provides advice to the organisation to ensure we meet our legal and regulatory obligations in pursuing World Vision’s mission.
A day in the life of WVA’s Legal Counsel includes:
The role reports to the General Counsel and supports a small high-performing legal team by addressing broad ranging of legal and compliance related issues affecting us as an international humanitarian organisation.
The role includes:
- Drafting and advising on a broad range of contracts including IT, project implementation agreements and consortium agreements;
- Advising on privacy issues, strategic initiatives, as well as supporting the marketing and fundraising teams so that optimal decisions are made with a focus on our supporters and to ensure the best use of donor funds and achievement of our mission.
Who are you?
As the successful applicant you will have demonstrated success as a commercial lawyer as well as:
- Alignment with our Core Values and a real passion for our mission;
- Tertiary qualification in Law and eligibility for a current Practising Certificate in Victoria;
- Minimum 3 years post admission experience in commercial law;
- Ability to apply sound legal skills and provide advice pragmatically and effectively in the context of a complex and multi-faceted environment as is the NGO sector, without compromising attention to detail;
- Proven experience in drafting, reviewing, advising on and negotiating contracts including IT, project implementation and multi-party agreements;
- Proven ability to provide accurate and high-quality advice in regards to legal and regulatory obligations including privacy and data security;
- Charities law, fundraising and consumer law experience, preferably in the context of a charitable organisation with DGR status, is highly desirable but not essential;
- Willingness to work in a high-performing small team and develop legal skills in other legal subject matter;
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of all levels within a corporate organisation structure;
- Proven ability to be a trusted legal advisor to the business by focusing on high-risk issues and enabling the business to manage low risk issues;
- Confidence to work with independence but also value, respect and be supportive of teamwork.
What you need to know
This role is a permanent contract operating in a full-time capacity and will be based at our head office in Burwood East, Victoria.
For your information, the role may be filled before the closing date.
What does success look like?
First and foremost, you will be a leader in every aspect of your life and line of work, irrespective of your level of expertise. You excel working in an ever-changing environment and you love forming strong relationships, which lets you effectively engage with stakeholders and to perform at your peak.
Having a proactive and fresh approach, you are ready to collaborate and overcome any obstacles that may come your way. Your energy is infectious, showcasing the passion you can bring to our organisation.
Why Should You Apply?
- We collaborate in a high performing and professional culture, committed to one common goal; the fight against global poverty, its causes and making a real difference in the world.
- We build brighter futures for vulnerable children and seek to empower the world's poorest people.
- Our people have access to professional development programs that include on-the-job learning, e-learning, workshops, forums, leadership development and internal mobility.
- Competitive salary and flexible salary packaging scheme.
Why World Vision?
World Vision is a worldwide community development organisation that provides short-term and long-term assistance to 100 million people worldwide (including 2.4 million children).
We have more than 45,000 staff members working in 96 countries. For six decades, World Vision has been engaging people to work towards eliminating poverty and its causes.
Our vision for every child: Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every heart: the will to make it so.