- Fixed Term Contractor (4 year contract)
- Location: Sydney
The International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) is a global non-profit helping animals and people thrive together. We are experts and everyday people, working across seas, oceans and in more than 40 countries around the world. We rescue, rehabilitate and release animals; and we restore and protect their natural habitats. The problems we’re up against are urgent and complicated. To solve them, we match fresh thinking with bold action. We partner with local communities, governments, non-governmental organisations and businesses. Together, we pioneer new and innovative ways to help all species flourish.
Position Summary/ Objective
IFAW’s Australian Acquisition Manager is a passionate direct response fundraiser who is driven by a desire to create innovative solutions that provide positive impact for animal welfare and conservation. This person must be motivated by growth and want to help IFAW graduate to the next level of Direct Response fundraising in Australia. This four-year fixed term contract role (pending future review and funding) will manage the day to day execution of offline new donor acquisition and provide local industry knowledge to support the activities of IFAW’s four year acquisition investment. This position will also function as part of an International Acquisition team, lending Australian market input, channel experience and mentorship to the international team. This role is critical to the implementation of IFAW’s assertive growth strategy in Australia and will work collaboratively with Country Office leadership and other Development colleagues to advance overall Development goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Global Director of New Donor Engagement, in the United States, the Acquisition Manager will manage to an existing acquisition strategy by: managing external vendors, working with internal teams to integrate strategies, working with internal programmatic teams to produce relevant content, and working as part of the entire development team to achieve overall philanthropic goals in Australia and Globally. This position will also report through a dotted line/matrix approach to the Director of the IFAW Sydney office.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain an understanding of IFAW’s programmatic campaigns to effectively promote IFAW’s work to prospects, vendors and donors and identify key engagement approaches.
- Increase IFAW’s revenue by improving acquisition metrics and subsequent retention metrics.
- Provide daily management of external F2F agencies and ensure all campaigns are meeting goal; recommend changes where necessary for strategy or tactics. Manage inventory of supporting materials.
- Provide regular and thorough F2F briefings, trainings and in-person visits with fundraising teams. Regularly execute mystery shopping. Continuously review to ensure this information is fresh, on brand and successful.
- Develop innovative acquisition marketing collateral for Face to Face vendors, using the developed proposition and key brand messages.
- Assist in the development of, and oversee the execution of, a continuity messaging plan for F2F supporters. Recommend strategy changes to Director of New Donor Engagement. Increase retention.
- Manage and collaborate with internal teams for creative services, production, digital and Donor Relations to support the marketing strategies. Ensure an integrated approach to acquisition marketing strategy happens according to this plan.
- Support Direct Mail acquisition through collaborative management of vendors for: list brokering, print management and postal requirements.
- Support Direct response telemarketing through conducting vendor briefings, call monitoring, script input, identifying opportunities for integrated online and telemarketing campaigns and recommending strategy to New Donor Engagement Director and/or Regular Giving Manager.
- Assist in the exploration and evaluation of additional markets, within AU or NZ for direct response fundraising.
- Monitor the Acquisition expense budget. Assist with monthly financial and results forecasting.
- Manage internal communications regarding supporter complaints or queries for newly acquired supporters, including Face o Face. Act as a liaison between IFAW and the vendors. Utilising project management skills, devise a suitable tracking process and manage its implementation. Collaborate with Donor Relations to ensure best service is provided to donors and to maximise retention.
- Provide local support for all professional fundraising memberships, relevant licenses and registrations.
Remain Current On:
- IFAW campaigns, programmes and emergency relief efforts (current, past, planned)
- Broad scope of animal welfare issues
- IFAW position statements
- Remain current on all Direct Response fundraising trends and best practices through participation in benchmarking, networking and industry organisations such as the PFRA. Communicate this information clearly and frequently with the international team.
- Financial policies, data protection and privacy requirements, tax regulations, and charity watchdog ratings
- Programs and services of other animal-related organisations
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A minimum of five years direct response experience, with a preference on new donor acquisition, and proven track record of success required. Ideally within the Australian market.
- Demonstrated ability to identify prospect streams for potential new donors.
- A degree from a college or university preferred.
- Highly detail oriented and self-motivated with excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced work environment within an international matrix organisation.
- Superb written and oral communication skills.
- High proficiency in Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Team Approach, or other similar database programs.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel as needed, including to IFAW Global offices and project sites, and domestic travel for donor visits and events.
- Flexibility to work in the evenings or weekends as required (for global IFAW calls)
- Passion for animal welfare and a commitment to promote IFAW’s mission.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities will change from time to time to meet the needs of the department and our company.