- Provide culturally appropriate and trauma-informed legal services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women
- Work in partnership with the Mulleun Mura Case Worker to lead the Mulleun Mura Program and deliver essential and culturally informed legal and case management services
- Be part of an innovative, energetic and cross-disciplinary team in a central location
- Competitive remuneration package, including generous PBI salary packaging options, leave loading and paid Christmas shut down
- Fixed term contract
- Position level commensurate with experience
About the position
The Women's Legal Centre seeks a Senior Lawyer/Lawyer for our Mulleun Mura Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women’s Access to Justice (MMA2J) Program.
We’re looking for someone with strong experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women and communities. If you understand the value in addressing legal and justice issues within a cultural and community context and want to support the Centre and Aboriginal staff to build this capacity, we want to hear from you!
The MMA2J Lawyer will:
- Provide advice, assistance and representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women on a range of matters, including care arrangements for children, care and protection matters, victims of crime and protection orders.
- Collaborate with the A2J team to plan and manage the work of the Program, monitor progress, and manage reporting to funders and ensure the Program’s cultural obligations are prioritised and maintained.
- Develop and deliver community legal education to community organisations and groups to build their capacity to identify and respond to legal issues.
- Work with various stakeholders, including funders and evaluators, to deliver program objectives.
Applicants must be eligible for a restricted practising certificate in the Australian Capital Territory.
Part-time applications (min 4 days per week also considered).
See attached Position Description for more details.