Open Heart International is a humanitarian agency that facilitates surgical best practice in disadvantaged communities so the help we provide last lifetimes. Through the engagement of volunteer clinicians, Open Heart International implements projects that strengthen health systems, increase the capacity and expertise of developing country clinicians, and provide direct care to patients that would otherwise go untreated.
To help achieve this, Open Heart International is seeking a pragmatic person with expertise and drive to lead and provide program management, design, guidance and support. The volunteer clinicians are integral stakeholders and participators in the program strategy, and an ability to effectively work with volunteers is essential for success in the role. Open Heart International is a partnership between ADRA Australia and Sydney Adventist Hospital.
For more information visit www.ohi.org.au and www.adra.org.au.
Note that this job has also been advertised on Ethical Jobs by Open Heart International’s parent organisation ADRA Australia. There is one vacancy, not two available.
The Program Senior Officer, is responsible for:
- Program Management: Manage the development aspects of Open Heart International relationships ensuring all contractual obligations to stakeholders are met. Partnerships are managed in collaboration with volunteer Project Coordinators who manage clinical aspects
- Program Design: Leading a team in the design of new projects/programs and new phases of existing projects, collaborating with ADRA technical specialists, using ADRA’s Values Based Development approach
- Developing Best Practice: Continue to align Open Heart International strategy with Development Best Practice and ADRA Australia program strategy
- Safeguarding: Focal point for the protection of children and vulnerable adults, PSEAH, and Counter-Terrorism within Open Heart International
- Program Representation: Represent Open Heart International within ADRA Australia program structure including contribution to Technical Learning Labs, membership in Programs Committee, Open Heart International Steering Committee, Clinical Governance Committee(s)
Essential Selection Criteria:
- At least 2 years’ experience in all aspects of the program management cycle within cross-cultural contexts, and management of grants
- Proven expertise in facilitation, mentoring and capability development within a cross cultural context
- Proven ability to contribute strategically to innovative practice, develop high quality program designs, and engage in learning processes constructively
- Willingness to work within a Christian ethos with conduct that is respectful of the beliefs and practices of the Seventh-day Adventist Church when in the workplace or otherwise representing Open Heart International/ADRA Australia
- Proven ability to manage day-to-day operations within strict deadlines and under time constraints
- Bachelor level degree in a relevant discipline, and/or proven relevant field/business experience
- Advanced level of written/verbal English communication skills, and computer literacy skills
- Ability to travel on a regular basis (up to 100 days per year)
Desirable Selection Criteria:
- Field experience within a developing country and/or working with indigenous populations in Australia
- Familiarity with the compliance requirements of DFAT including the Australian NGO Cooperation Program
- Experience in health sector development programs including a Ministry of Health
- Experience collaborating with partners with limited development capacity
- Experience collaborating with volunteers as part of program implementation
- Masters level degree in a relevant discipline, and/or proven relevant field/business experience
A full Position Description is attached below.