The Migrant Workers Centre is an organising and educational centre that works with migrant workers and their families to realise the collective power of their communities to win dignity and respect at work and to fight for a fairer society.
The successful applicant will work with migrant communities and implement our community-driven organising strategy.
The role will commence in the second half of September 2019.
- Delivering educational sessions about workplace rights to migrant workers;
- Community organising, including leadership identification and development;
- Providing direct assistance to migrant workers with industrial issues;
- Participating in community events and campaigns;
- Liaising with unions, community groups and service providers;
- Conversational comprehension of a language other than English;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and an ability to build rapport with a variety of people;
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders;
- A willingness to work after hours and on the weekend;
- Current, valid driver’s licence; and
- A commitment to improving the working life of migrant workers.
- Previous experience working with culturally and linguistically diverse communities; and
- Demonstrated experience in union, political or community organising, including the implementation of community engagement tactics.
The position is based at the Migrant Workers Centre in Carlton South, Victoria but will include regional travel.
Starting salary of $67,530 and attractive conditions, including a monthly RDO and 12% superannuation.