- Play the lead role in the growth and development of our flagship Aussie Backyard Bird Count campaign
- Shape, create and coordinate targeted supporter engagement plans and activity throughout the year
- Manage and evaluate our digital analytics suite
Each year, BirdLife Australia’s Aussie Backyard Bird Count encourages the many thousands of bird-loving Australians to get out into parks and gardens and enjoy birds in their local area while helping BirdLife Australia take an annual snapshot of Australian birds. There is incredible potential still to be realised among the millions of Australians who simply love their birds to take part in this fun and engaging flagship event.
A key objective of the National Engagement Coordinator role is to develop and lead this nationwide event bringing a fresh perspective and new ideas to continue to drive increased participation.
As a community-led science-based conservation organisation, with more than 145,000 supporters and volunteers, BirdLife Australia relies on a growing network of people who generously give their time, expertise, voice and financial support. This position plays an important role in engaging new and existing supporters with BirdLife Australia’s work through the Aussie Backyard Bird Count, national conservation campaigning and engagement with BirdLife Australia’s wider activities.
BirdLife Australia is proud to be the nation's largest bird conservation organisation. As an independent, not-for-profit organisation, we are dedicated to conserving Australia’s birds and their habitats through advocacy, targeted research, on-ground work and monitoring.
You will be a marketer or promotional event coordinator with experience and qualifications in either direct marketing, promotional campaigns or engagement.
This is a vibrant marketing role, requiring strong project management, communication and digital analytics skills.
This part-time role (4 days per week) will be based in Melbourne, at our office in Carlton, working as part of a small and dedicated team.
Key responsibilities include the following:
Aussie Backyard Bird Count
- Develop and deliver our flagship national public event, working with external partners and suppliers, including media and communications agencies, sponsors, local councils, schools and network groups.
- Lead the internal team of communications, design and engagement specialists to reach our supporter recruitment and engagement targets.
- Build relationships, source and secure sponsorship for this national event
- Design, implement and evaluate supporter follow-up pre, during and post-event
- Prepare post-event evaluation reporting against supporter recruitment targets
- Integrate into the campaign BirdLife community-based programs, events and opportunities for participation, such as Birds in Backyards and Birdata
- Identify and develop areas for income generation from this activity.
National conservation-themed promotion campaign
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for recruiting new, and engaging existing, supporters in line with the objectives and opportunities of the campaign
- Participate in campaign development, planning, promotion, execution, result monitoring and evaluation
- Co-ordinate Communications and Engagement Department plans and activity to support annual conservation-themed campaigns
- Manage and monitor Google Ads and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) for the organisation
- Manage and monitor Google Analytics and other web analytics tools
Skills and experience
- Marketing or promotional event management qualification and experience working in an engagement, direct marketing or promotional campaigns role
- A basic understanding of audience, reach and appropriate engagement strategies
- Promotional campaign development and management
- Project management including working to deadlines and budget, and with internal and external stakeholders
- Relationship building with external partners and suppliers, and BirdLife’s own network of branches, special interest groups, reserves and observatories
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills including copy editing and presentations
- Experience with Supporter Relationship Management systems (ideally Raiser’s Edge and Net Community)
- Experience working with website Content Management Systems and html coding
- Data analytics and insights experience, particularly experience with Google Analytics, SEO and Google Ads
Workstyle, attributes, and attitudes
- Motivated by collaboration and collective success
- Flexible, adaptive and able to work effectively in a small team with limited resources
- Respond and easily adjust to changing work demands
- Ability to inspire and motivate others
- Openness to change, receptiveness to new ideas
- A team builder and team player
- Works positively, effectively and sensitively with a wide range of people
- Takes responsibility and exercises initiative
- Reliable and responsive
The full position description and selection criteria can be downloaded below.