The focus of the Social Research & Information Officer's work is to ensure WESTIR's objectives are met by monitoring available information; collecting and analysing pertinent information (including statistics) and ensuring dissemination of such information to individual, community, government and other users of WESTIR services, especially those in Greater Western Sydney. In addition, the position will require involvement in WESTIR’s research, evaluation and training activities.
The position is located in central Parramatta. Position is for 3 days per week (21 hours pw).
- Analyse social trends & issues affecting, primarily, Greater Western Sydney.
- Respond to information requests from organisations & the community.
- Prepare statistical data & publications.
- Develop information & data resources.
- Advise on and conduct research and evaluation projects, and make presentations of research results.
- Degree in Social Sciences, or equivalent.
- Ability to analyse, manipulate & interpret social statistical information & trends (especially, Census data).
- Experience in presenting research outcomes and preparing research for publication.
- Familiarity with a broad range of data and their sources.
- Skills with MapInfo and/or statistical/ analytic software [e.g. SPSS/NVivo].
- Experience in presenting & explaining research and data.
- Ability to work both with a small team and independently.
- Ability to work to timeframes.
- High level report-writing & oral communication skills.
- Proficient usage of Microsoft products and other software; and, typing skills.
- Understanding of issues for Western Sydney & non-government community services.
- An inquiring view of the world.
- Familiarity with service and/or project evaluation.
- Interviewing skills.
- Examples of previous data preparations.
- Ability to prepare data visualisations and infographics.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, the community sector.
- Good negotiation skills.
Salary Related to Social, Community, Home Care & Disability Services Award, Level 5. Ability to work comfortably at Level 5 is vital.
HOW TO APPLY
To submit your application click Apply Now.
A position description / information pack is attached.