ABOUT THE ROLE AND ORGANISATION
- Highly regarded peak body for renters and driving social change
- Attractive package Salary Range $79,000 - $94,000 plus super and salary packaging, 37.5-hour week + Additional Leave
Tenants Victoria is the peak body for the state’s renters, who number almost 2 million people. Our vision is for safe, secure and affordable homes for Victorian renters in a fair housing system. For many renting is a permanent situation rather than a transition from the family home to home ownership.
We believe all renters, including rooming house residents, should be able to afford a home that allows them to live full lives and contribute to their communities. Our services include information, legal representation and advice, financial counselling, and outreach. We aim to make the housing system fairer in several ways. We advocate for practices and attitudes that respect renting and for policies and laws that support the rights of renters. We increase the skills of the community workers who assist renters.
WHY CHOOSE US:
- Salary benefits include leave loading and salary packaging.
- Flexible and hybrid working options available, close to public transport.
- Additional leave over Christmas/Easter and access to Employee Assistance Program
- Values based culture, passionate team.
- We conduct ourselves with the values of Collaborative – we work together, Optimistic – We believe we can make a difference. Effective – We deliver. Kindness – We listen deeply.
You are a driven, motivated self-starter who has the ability to work autonomously to deliver high quality results and exceed expectations. You have high attention to detail, are well-organised and have the ability to build rapport with people quickly.
Key to your success is your:
- Commitment to social justice and renters’ rights.
- Knowledge of residential tenancies law, or ability to quickly learn this area of law.
- Demonstrated high level communication skills (oral and written), and excellent listening skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and effectively manage competing demands, including knowing when to escalate matters to a supervisor.
- Strong administrative, organisational and IT skills.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- You will have a current practicing certificate.
- Ideally 2-3 years post admission experience with proven experience in the conduct of legal casework from commencement to conclusion, advocacy experience at VCAT preferred
- Willingness and ability to communicate empathetically with a variety of clients, including those with cognitive impairment or language barriers, people from diverse backgrounds, people with alcohol or other drug dependence and people experiencing or at risk of experiencing homelessness.
- Demonstrated high level oral communication and listening skills.
- Demonstrated high level written communication skills, commensurate with high quality legal work, including understanding and application of plain English writing.
- Demonstrated ability to represent clients in courts, tribunals and dispute resolution processes.
Tenants Victoria is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, women, people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability and people identifying as LGBTIQ are encouraged to apply.
Please submit ASAP as we will review candidates on receipt of application.