The North West Community Legal Centre Inc (“NWCLC”) is a community based organisation funded by both the Commonwealth and State Governments via the National Legal Assistance Partnership to provide legal advice, assistance and representation services to the community of the North West Coast, West Coast and King Island areas of Tasmania.
We are looking for a part time (0.5 FTE minimum) or full-time generalist legal practitioner to fill a two (2) year contract with our organisation. Whilst post admission legal experience is highly desirable, the position is open to all candidates.
- Position: Part Time (0.5 FTE) to Full Time considered - Contract Position as a Generalist Legal Practitioner
- Duration: Two (2) year contract
- Location: Devonport, TAS
- The provision of legal advice and ongoing legal assistance on a range of legal and related matters, including: Civil Law, Family Law, Employment Law, Administrative Law and Consumer Law from both our Devonport office and via outreach to other areas of the North West Coast and King Island from time to time.
- Undertaking legal research.
- Assist with and carry out community legal education by creating and conducting presentations to local community organisations on legal topics of interest.
- Maintain a client caseload under the supervision and direction of the Senior Solicitor.
- Assist in developing and maintaining networks with local community organisations to promote the NWCLC and improve access to justice.
- Assist and/or participate in policy and law reform activities as required.
- Maintain accurate and effective data collection and file management systems consistent with the policies and procedures of the NWCLC.
- Some court representation (in line with the proficiencies and desires of the applicant and to be negotiated with the Senior Solicitor).
- Other duties as delegated by the Senior Solicitor.
- Eligible to hold a legal practising certificate in Tasmania;
- Current unrestricted driver’s licence;
- Demonstrated commitment to fulfilling the Duties of the position;
- Understanding of and commitment to the work community legal centres perform within the legal sector and more specifically, the objects and purpose of the NWCLC (available for public viewing in our Rules of Association via the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission Website);
- Demonstrated computer literacy and high level written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a small team; and
- The ability and inclination to take initiative with a willingness to learn.
- Post admission experience; and
- Experience working with groups facing disadvantage.
Salary and Conditions:
To be negotiated but commensurate with experience and in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010.
Ryan Gilmour – Coordinator/Senior Solicitor
Phone: (03) 6424 8720 – (Monday – Friday: 9.00am - 5.00pm)
Email: [email protected], using the subject line: Lawyer - Devonport enquiry via EthicalJobs.
We encourage interest from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for all positions.
A position description is attached.