The Nature Conservation Council of NSW is the state's peak environment organisation, representing over 190 local, state and national environment organisations in NSW.
The purpose of this role is to contribute to a faster and fairer transition from coal to clean energy through research and analysis, political advocacy, public communications and building stakeholder relationships.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITY
- Analyse climate and energy policy settings in NSW and work with a team of climate campaigners and organisers to develop a political engagement plan to strengthen policies.
- Work with NCC member groups and ally organisations to broaden deliver a joint statement creating competition between the states on policy outcomes.
- Develop a scorecard that demonstrates how NSW compares to other states on climate and energy policy.
- Organise events to share publicly the benefits of clean energy across regional NSW.
- Engage supporters, member groups, donors and the community through practical and meaningful campaign actions designed to make a tangible difference to campaign objectives.
- Meet with MPs and other decision makers to advocate for stronger clean energy policies and policy reform to remove road blocks for the energy transition.
- Embody values of creativity, boldness, and an appetite for risk-taking, and contribute to an inclusive and caring work culture.
- Seek out opportunities to work in solidarity and centre the voices of First Nations peoples in our campaigns.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Talent & Capabilities
- Research and policy capabilities
- An ability to design campaign strategies and tactics that get results
- An ability to build and maintain strong relationships and collaborative partnerships with allies, member groups and other stakeholders
Skills & Experience
- Experience in research across academia, government or private sector
- Experience in energy and/ or planning policy
- Experience delivering public advocacy campaigns that win outcomes
Extra Points for
- Experience with NSW environment policy, laws, history and stakeholders
- Existing working relationships with a variety of MPs, staff and media in NSW Parliament
- Tertiary qualifications in climate and energy or related fields