- Utilise lived experience to lead and coach a team to deliver high quality wellbeing supports to people with mental health and alcohol and drug challenges
- Permanent role | Full time
- Exciting new opportunity in Bendigo!
Mind strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, people with a lived and living experience of mental distress and recovery, and applicants from all cultures, genders, sexualities, bodies, abilities, spiritualities, ages and backgrounds.
Mind Australia is one of the country’s leading community-managed specialist mental health service providers with a range of residential, mobile outreach, centre based and online services. We have been supporting people living with the day-to-day impacts of mental illness, as well as their families, friends and carers for over 40 years.
We provide practical and motivational support that helps people to develop the skills they need to move on, thrive and improve the quality of their lives. It’s an approach to mental health and wellbeing that looks at the whole person in the context of their daily life. Mind is committed to diversity and social inclusion.
About the role
The Adult and Older Adult Mental Health and Wellbeing services, also refer to as “Locals”, are a key recommendation from Victoria’s Royal Commission into the mental health service system’s transformation. The Locals will act as the ‘front door’ service to the mental health system and will provide a continuum of care and support, including clinical interventions, wellbeing supports, and therapeutic support through an integrated mental health and alcohol and other drug framework approach. These services will have a ‘no wrong door’ policy, ensuring accessibility to all individuals seeking support.
The Team Leader (Lived Expertise) will provide leadership and support to a dedicated team in Mental Health and Wellbeing Locals (Locals), ensuring the delivery of high quality recovery-oriented services to consumers, in line with Mind’s Model of Recovery Oriented Practice, My Better Life model and organisational values. The Team Leader (Lived Expertise) is integral in being a lived/living experience in a day to day service delivery context to staff in the Locals service. The role will have oversight of service requirements and liaise with a number of stakeholders both internally and within the community.
- Willingness to utilise your own lived experience of mental ill health, alcohol and other drugs challenges and recovery to inform your work and the work of the team.
- Disclose your lived experience in an appropriate and purposeful manner to support, empower, bring hope and support the recovery of consumers and the work of other staff within the Local.
- Coach staff to problem solve, develop creative solutions and remain motivated in meeting consumer, family, carer and supporters needs and preferences.
- Lead a dedicated team in line with organisational quality processes and policies, agreed priorities and strategies to ensure quality consumer service and required targets are met.
- Positively influence and contribute to a service and team culture that focuses on meeting the consumer goals using evidence informed practice.
What you’ll bring
- Tertiary qualifications in Mental Health, Peer Work, Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy, Community Services or other professional field as designated by Mind are preferred, and/or equivalent experience in a similar industry.
- Completion of Intentional Peer Support Core and/or Advanced training will also be considered as an alternative to tertiary qualifications.
- Experience in working directly with people with mental health issues, alcohol and other drugs issues, complex needs and with their families, carers and supporters.
- Proven experience in leadership and capability to coach, mentor and develop a team to achieve best quality service outcomes including experience in the provision of professional supervision.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the application of theoretical approaches, practices and appropriate service responses including family inclusive practice, trauma informed theory, cognitive behavioural therapy, motivational interviewing and harm reduction therapy.
What we Offer
- Salary packaging up to $15,899 p.a. allows you to allocate a portion of your pre-tax income to cover living expenses (e.g. rent, mortgage, child care, car leasing expenses etc.)
- Option to access Meal and Entertainment allowance up to $2,650 p.a. via Salary Packaging.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP), provided by Converge International, for you and your immediate family members.
- Work flexibility arrangements available for maintaining your work-life balance.
- Professional development through regular Practice Development sessions and coaching with your supervisor
To apply online visit Mind Careers - reference number 494312. Please complete an online application form and attach a copy of your CV, along with a cover letter outlining:
- Your understanding of what it means to utilise lived expertise in a leadership role.
- Your connection to the wider lived experience community and how you utilise lived experience led thinking in your approach.
Please contact the person below if you require more information.
Lisa Henderson, Service Manager Locals Establishment
The successful applicant is required to complete comprehensive reference and background checking prior to employment, including a Working with Children Check, NDIS Workers Screening Check and the ability to obtain vaccinations against COVID-19.
PD Team Leader (Lived Expertise) Locals - Bendigo & Echuca.pdf