About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
12-month maximum term role based in our Newcastle Head Office. As the In-house Lawyer, this role will provide expert advice and direction on a range of legal affairs. You will be working in a small team with subject matter experts.
- Respond to subpoenas and requests for information under relevant legislation
- Provide relevant and timely legal advice and guidance on commercial and operational matters including (but not limited to):
- establishment and maintenance of legal professional privilege
- commercial contracting arrangements and negotiations
- tenders/bids for contract renewal or new business
- contractor management and procurement processes
- property lease, licence and conveyancing matters
- commercial, corporate and contract litigation management
- legislative requirements and impacts
- insurance risk and coverage
- Maintain a current register of material legal issues, risks and mitigation's
- Case management of matters
Skills & Experience
- Tertiary qualification in Bachelor of Law or equivalent
- Current unrestricted NSW Practising Certificate
- Demonstrated post-admission experience in an in-house Legal Advisor position
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and appropriately communicate complex legal concepts to a range of audiences
- Advanced and proven negotiation and problem-solving skills, and ability to think laterally and strategically
- Ability to handle sensitive material, demonstrate a high level of confidentiality, and operate with integrity and honesty
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced, agile environment
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).