- Employment status: 0.6 FTE, Part-Time Fixed-Term (some overtime hours will be required)
- Fixed-Term: Start immediately until early March 2024
- Renumeration: $41.52 per hour + Superannuation
- Award: Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award
- Work location: ICV Office: Level 2, 66-68 Jeffcott St, West Melbourne VIC 3003
- Start Date: Immediate
The Islamic Council of Victoria:
The Islamic Council of Victoria (ICV) is the peak body for Muslim organisations in Victoria. The ICV represents the wider Victorian Muslim community and has more than 76 member organisations located throughout metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.
The ICV’s vision is to build a better community for all Australians through the empowerment of Muslims in Victoria. The ICV aims to fulfil this vision through the provision of advocacy and social welfare services, and in consultation and cooperation with governments, multifaith communities, service providers and wider society. The organisation is firmly committed to providing support for, and protecting the rights of, Victorian Muslims.
As the Victorian Mosque Open Day (VMOD) Coordinator, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing the Victorian Mosque Open Day, a culturally enriching event that provides an opportunity for the general public, schools, politicians, and more to be welcomed into a local mosque. Mosques gain the opportunity to educate the wider Australian public, break down stereotypes, encourage interfaith dialogue, demonstrate Islamic practices and more.
This position involves coordinating the participation of member society and non-member society mosques/community centres, overseeing the creation and distribution of VMOD gift bags and materials, organising recreational activities, being the main liaison for participating societies, and coordinating mosque visitations for VIPs.
Please note that this role is a fixed-term role, which will continue only until early March 2024. It is also expected that the Program Coordinator will work throughout the end-of-year period in December/January (excluding public holidays).
- Participating Mosques/Societies Coordination:
- Liaise with member society and non-member society mosques/ community centres, both in metropolitan and regional areas, to invite them to participate in VMOD.
- Provide guidance and support to participating societies regarding event logistics, schedules, promotional activities, and any concerns and/or aid that they require.
- Oversee training program for participating mosques under the direction of an ICV executive committee member.
- Travel to regional mosques to provide support where necessary (travel expenses reimbursed).
- Oversight of VMOD Material Creation and Distribution:
- Collaborate with vendors for the creation of informational sheets, introductions to Islam, stress balls, and other materials that enhance the visitor experience.
- Oversee the production and distribution of VMOD materials and gift bags.
- Ensure that timelines are strictly followed and VMOD materials are delivered on time.
- Oversight of logistics of VMOD at ICV City Mosque:
- Arrange for recreational activities (e.g., Henna, Arabic calligraphy, etc.)
- Plan event schedule for the day (e.g., open visitation hours, speeches, etc.).
- Provide technical support for presentations on the day.
- VIP Mosque Visitations Coordination:
- Coordinate local mosque visitations for VIPs, including government officials, community leaders, and other dignitaries.
- Work closely with local mosques to arrange guided tours and facilitate meaningful interactions between VIPs and the mosque communities.
- Oversight of marketing/media campaign for VMOD:
- Overseeing production of marketing materials and social media posts.
- Working with member societies to engage in a collaborative media campaign.
- Liaise and engage with media to promote participating mosques.
- Reporting and documentation:
- Ensure that VMOD expenditure is within allocated budgets and is accurately recorded.
- Complete project report after VMOD.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated experience in event coordination and community engagement.
- Strong organizational, project management and time management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Cultural sensitivity and understanding of the Victorian Muslim Community (VMC).
- Ability to address and resolve issues in a timely and diplomatic manner.
- Ability to work flexibly and during holiday periods.
- Ability to work under direct supervision of General Manager and to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated a committed and hardworking nature, and the ability to cope with setbacks and challenges.
- This is a temporary position leading up to and during the Victorian Mosque Open Day.
- Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Please submit a resume and cover letter which references the Key Selection Criteria and outlines your relevant experience and qualifications. Please include two professional references. All appointments to the ICV are subject to a reference check and may be required to submit a Police Check.
Position contact: Zakaria Wahid, General Manager
Office Number: (03) 9328 2067
Office Email: [email protected] using the subject line: Victoria Mosque Open Day Program Coordinator enquiry via EthicalJobs.
The ICV is an inclusive workplace that embraces diversity. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
Please note: Interviews will begin before the application deadline, it is very likely the position will be filled before the closing date.