- Part time – 21 hours per week
Primary purpose of the role
The Tenants Advocate will deliver assistance, advocacy, advice and information to tenants. The Tenant Advocate works as part of a team providing information, advice and casework services to tenants, as well as providing Community Legal Education and participating in policy and law reform activities. This position will primarily focus their services towards supporting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander tenants. The primary tasks of the role is to assess the presenting tenancy problems and provide clients with advice and information relating to their rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancy Act 2010.
Illawarra Legal Centre Inc (ILC) exists to support vulnerable and disadvantaged people to access free legal services and to recognise their legal rights.
ILC’s people are dedicated, driven, person focused and committed to the principles of social justice and human rights.
You are looking to support vulnerable people to access their legal rights. With skills and knowledge of tenants rights, you are committed to reducing barriers to access for people, provide quality legal information and advice, and assist people to become educated about their legal rights.
You will be seeking a work place that thrives on being integral to the community, and in delivering excellent services that promotes access and equity for people.
- Tertiary qualifications, final year law student or extensive experience in a relevant field (eg working with tenants)
- Demonstrated professional or lived experience working with First Nations People
- Demonstrated understanding of the legal needs of disadvantaged populations
- Self-management skills and ability to work to deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication, with attention to detail and adaptability to varied audiences.
- Excellent client service skills, and skills to provide sound legal advice and information
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills to deliver Community Legal Education
- Commitment to undertake law reform and policy, with a commitment to access and equity principles.
- Ability to work within a trauma informed and culturally sensitive framework with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong administrative skills (word processing, file management) and competence in use of email/internet/ client management systems.
- Commitment to the philosophy of Community Legal Centres
- High levels of self-motivation and use of initiative
- Commitment to collaboration and team based work
- Commitment to social justice, access and equity
- Clear ethics and understanding of professional obligations
About ILC and our benefits
- A clear commitment to providing a safe, welcoming workplace. We provide equal opportunities regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability or age.
- A flexible work environment, including work from the office and home
- 5 weeks annual leave, plus 17.5% leave loading
- Salary Sacrifice
- Additional week off over Christmas/ New Year, in addition to annual leave
- Generous personal leave entitlements
- Employee Assistance Program
- Continued training and professional development opportunities
- $89,096 - $93,128 (pro rata) (plus 11% Super + 17.5% Leave loading)
- Up to $16000 salary sacrifice
A position description is attached.