IDP Lawyers is proud to be partnering with Women's Legal Service Victoria, a feminist community organisation supporting Victorian Women.
We are looking for a full or part time (0.8) Lawyer to work with Women's Legal on secondment.
- A fantastic opportunity to build the role and make it your own!
- Fixed term full time or part time (min 4 days)
- Share your legal expertise to our collaborative, feminist legal service.
- Located in Melbourne's legal precinct, with public transport on your doorstep.
- Hybrid working model (part in office/working from home), promoting a true work/life balance.
- A welcoming, passionate, and motivated workforce all committed to building a gender equitable society.
YOUR NEW ROLE
This is an exciting opportunity in a new team to deliver discrete legal services to women experiencing family violence and disadvantage. Reporting to the Managing Lawyer (Discrete Legal Assistance) you will provide high quality, best practice intake and legal advice services to women as part of an integrated service model, including some appearances in court (other than trials).
- As part of the new Discrete Legal Assistance Service, provide legal advice and assistance to service users, including secondary consultations to workers supporting clients across family violence, complex family law (property and parenting) and/or child protection, migration and/or victims of crime assistance;
- Provide duty lawyer services on a rostered basis;
- Maintain a small caseload of legal matters in family violence. In your practice area(s), you may also maintain a small number of caseload matters in family law, migration, child protection and victims of crime assistance;
- Provide an integrated and holistic client service, working with social workers and financial counsellors, to address both legal and non-legal needs
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO SUCCEED
This position would be suitable for candidates who hold, or are eligible to hold, an unrestricted practising certificate with a minimum of two years post admission experience in family violence, family law and/or child protection law.
You will also have:
- Experience in the provision of legal advice, duty lawyer services and casework in areas relevant to the WLSV practice.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to maintain consistent standards of quality service while working independently and efficiently.
- Ability to foster cooperation and assistance in working relationships with other staff.
- High level oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse range of clients, whilst having understanding and empathy for their complex needs.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, particularly whilst working in an environment of change; and
- Commitment to continuous learning and development, including a growth mindset.
- Some experience in court advocacy in one or more of the following jurisdictions - Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia, Magistrates Court, Children’s Court and/or Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal;
- Experience working with victims/survivors of family violence.
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
You will be part of the IDP Family as well as enjoying the support of a genuine, motivated, passionate workforce at Women's Legal, all driven in helping to build a gender equitable country.
What we offer:
- Bonus leave days to support a well-rested end of year break
- A competitive remuneration
- A strong commitment to your professional development, personal development, and wellbeing from both WLSV and IDP including access to our comprehensive online learning library, greens list subscription and extensive in-house professional and personal development events program.
- A very flexible working environment that supports work-life balance
- Hybrid working
- Fresh fruit available in the office
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program
- A vibrant and collegiate work culture - both at Women's Legal and IDP!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY
Women's Legal is committed to equal opportunity and diversity and promotes an organisational environment where individuals are treated with fairness, respect, equality and dignity. To deliver the best outcomes for our clients we want a staff team that reflects the diverse community that we serve, recognising the skills, knowledge and experience a diverse staff group brings to our organisation.
GENDER SPECIFIC ROLE
Women’s Legal Service Victoria relies upon an exception under the Equal Opportunity Act to employ women only.
A position description is attached.