ICTV’s Community News is a look-live news, special interest, and current affairs program presented in various Australian Indigenous languages.
This news and current affairs bulletin airs on the first Friday of each month and is currently funded until December 2025.
Each episode runs at approximately 30-45 minutes, with a language-speaking anchor newsreader presenting in two languages including Western Arrernte, Warlpiri, or Pitjantjatjara. A simple English version of the Community News is also produced.
The Deputy News Director will work closely with the News Director, playing a vital role in supporting the News Director in producing the Community News bulletins. The Deputy News Director will also be responsible for supporting junior journalists, language workers, cadets, and presenters in the development, writing, and delivery of the news.
CONTENT FOR THE PROGRAM WILL INCLUDE:
- National News
- Community News
- Human Interest stories
- Sports stories and coverage
OVERALL FEATURES FOR THE STORIES AND SEGMENTS:
- Of interest to the ICTV audience
- Includes issues impacting remote communities
- Stories must have an Indigenous focus
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Researching and writing news stories with specific interest to audiences in remote Indigenous communities.
- Contributing to editorial input under the direction of the News Director.
- Facilitating training for newsroom cadets.
- Liaising with contributor organisations and individuals regarding the submission of news content.
- Supervising staff working in the news, including managing news staff Key Performance Indicators.
- Researching, developing, and writing stories.
- Proofreading and modifying existing stories.
- Supporting filming on location with the ICTV crew
- Assisting in the development of workflows for all news-associated projects.
- Taking on other crew roles as required during the live production of the program.
- Ensuring that all workflow elements are delegated and achieved.
- Working with social media staff to create posts to accompany the news.
- Utilise all ICTV systems as required.
- Undertake training in skills specific to this project such as video editing, and camera operation.
- Comply with WH&S requirements and organisational policy.
- Deliver agreed Key Performance Indicators.
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Other duties as requested by ICTV General Manager.
Please click here to view an episode of ICTV Community News.
A position description is attached.